Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The nice people on eBay can't hurt you any more

Well, they can still only pay cents on the dollar for your coins, but if they give you low DSR's (Detail Seller Ratings) or even negative feedback it doesn't count as a defect anymore.

eBay has recognized the type of buyers they bring to sellers and there are only two ways to get a defect now:

You get a defect when you cancel a transaction for being out of stock or have a case closed without seller resolution. Your defect report can show you which transactions resulted in defects.

Defects are on you now.

Some people would complain if they found a gold bar on the street that it didn't have a handle on it to pick it up with. They'll still give you 1 star ratings, but it won't count as a defect anymore (nor impact your 20% discount)

Comments

• Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are defects and negatives that same thing?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May have changed their policy after I hung up on Daisy (ebay rep) , yesterday. Infuriated with their ever changing policy that hold sellers accountable for everything.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: thebigeng
    Are defects and negatives that same thing?

No, defects are how eBay rates sellers.

If you had too many, you would lose the Top Seller rating (and your 20% discount on final value fees) - or even get kicked off eBay.

Defects used be counted when transactions had problems from the buyers point of view. These were low DSR's, returns for items not as described and negative or neutral feedback.

You can still get those, but you only get defects if you don't ship or don't resolve a buyer's case. Which can still happen with an item SNAD case.
  • Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why would you call eBay customer service as the have the worst customer service of any company in the history of the world since the world's creation.

I hung up on eBay customer service yesterday as all they do is make their extremely loyal long term (16 years over 5000 plus 100% positive feedback) sellers EXTREMELY pissed off when they side with a newbie of a couple of months with a feedback of 2.
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ErrorsOnCoins

Why would you call eBay customer service as the have the worst customer service of any company in the history of the world since the world's creation.

I hung up on eBay customer service yesterday as all they do is make their extremely loyal long term (16 years over 5000 plus 100% positive feedback) sellers EXTREMELY pissed off when they side with a newbie of a couple of months with a feedback of 2.

I am going to beg to differ, ever try calling Verizon for anything? If you do, just plan on writing off 1 hour of your life that you will never get back again.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

And will continue to do so ad infinitum.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been defected all my life. I'm doomed.
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand ebay will be going to 30 day return from 14 day returns.
    So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Cougar1978

I hope not, if they do that I will offer no return at all.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

My fix for this is I am going to start requiring a 10% restocking fee for returns initiated 7 days after receipt. I have an idea I'll probably end up battling a storm of SNADS but 30 day returns on coins is ludicrous!

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

They certainly can still hurt you. All you need is someone posting a negative that your images are not accurate and you can kiss any serious buyer goodbuy. AS a frequent buyer on eBay, an enhanced or slightly smoothed image is my worst enemy and if I see that comment on a negative, I will not waste my time there either. You might not lose your 20%, which is really only 2% by the way, but every single coin will sell for less if at all.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A negative or neutral will effect your sales total gross.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Wabbit2313

They certainly can still hurt you. All you need is someone posting a negative that your images are not accurate and you can kiss any serious buyer goodbuy. AS a frequent buyer on eBay, an enhanced or slightly smoothed image is my worst enemy and if I see that comment on a negative, I will not waste my time there either. You might not lose your 20%, which is really only 2% by the way, but every single coin will sell for less if at all.

I dunno, I think the 20% discount off your final value fees is more like, well, 20%.

If a seller has a store and pays 6% FVF and does $100k a year in sales, they pay $6,000 in FVF's. So losing a 20% discount costs them $1,200 a year not $120.

Negative FB could affect sales, but I think even good sellers who do everything right get a negative for about 1 in 2,000 sales just because they are dealing with the public.

Before I buy I look at a sellers negs and 99% of the time it doesn't stop me from buying after reading the comment.

Look at apmex for example. 20 negs this month and one says:

imagePictures/description were deceptive. Offered refund, but took days to respond.

They still had 9000+ sales that month.
  • Options

You're right it is not a 2% savings, it is 1.2% based on your math. So for 1% in total savings, you are better off making sure a buyer does not whack you with a negative. I can guarantee that you will lose more than 1% with a big fat negative about you.
  • Options

You're right it is not a 2% savings, it is 1.2% based on your math. So for 1% in total savings, you are better off making sure a buyer does not whack you with a negative. I can guarantee that you will lose more than 1% with a big fat negative about you.

Numbers and math stuff is complicated for some I guess.

In business there are gross sales (how much money you take in) and expenses (how much you spend).

Those are different things.

If your sales are $100,000 and you pay $6,000 to do it, that is part of your expenses

Now if you can reduce your expenses by 20%, that is a savings of $1,200.

It is called a savings because you saved the money and didn't have to pay it as part of your expenses.

So instead of paying $6,000 you only paid $4,800. That is a savings of 20%. (The % sign represents "percent" which means parts per hundred)

$6,000 - $1,200 = $4,800

That's called subtraction. It's additions tricky friend.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, this change is really just too bad. Now when I get a half dime in the mail from an eBay seller, and I am shocked at how dang SMALL the thing is, I can't whack the seller so easily. image
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans
    Well, they can still only pay cents on the dollar for your coins, but if they give you low DSR's (Detail Seller Ratings) or even negative feedback it doesn't count as a defect anymore.

eBay has recognized the type of buyers they bring to sellers and there are only two ways to get a defect now:

You get a defect when you cancel a transaction for being out of stock or have a case closed without seller resolution. Your defect report can show you which transactions resulted in defects.

Defects are on you now.

Some people would complain if they found a gold bar on the street that it didn't have a handle on it to pick it up with. They'll still give you 1 star ratings, but it won't count as a defect anymore (nor impact your 20% discount)

The defects issue has now morphed into the scam, and unresolved case issues.

Sellers on the feepay forums tell of attempting to dispute inappropriate remorse and SNAD claims and having the feepay rep escalate the claim and closing it in the buyer's favor. About 3 of those and your selling privileges are permanently revoked.

There are so many buyer scams working on there it's hard to keep up.

• Options
    Your saving an additional $1200 on 100K in sales. That equals 1.2%. A single negative is going to cost you far more than the 1% in total. You are right, math is hard for some, so hang in there.
  • Options
    I am not on eBay anymore, but what in the heck does "defects" mean in ebay-ese?!
    James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Verizon?? Obviously you've never called Comcast! image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceans

Numbers and math stuff is complicated for some I guess.

In business there are gross sales (how much money you take in) and expenses (how much you spend).

Those are different things.

If your sales are $100,000 and you pay $6,000 to do it, that is part of your expenses

Now if you can reduce your expenses by 20%, that is a savings of $1,200.

It is called a savings because you saved the money and didn't have to pay it as part of your expenses.

So instead of paying $6,000 you only paid $4,800. That is a savings of 20%. (The % sign represents "percent" which means parts per hundred)

$6,000 - $1,200 = $4,800

That's called subtraction. It's additions tricky friend.

This has got to be the funniest post since I started reading this forum. image

Additions tricky friend. Priceless.

For those with customer service complaints try talking to the geniuses at healthcare.gov
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin

My fix for this is I am going to start requiring a 10% restocking fee for returns initiated 7 days after receipt. I have an idea I'll probably end up battling a storm of SNADS but 30 day returns on coins is ludicrous!

That's exactly my plan. Email me within 7 days of receipt and I'll knock off the 10%. After that, 10% sticks. And if it's not a legit SNAD, I'll fight back.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    garrynotgarrynot Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AMRC

I am going to beg to differ, ever try calling Verizon for anything? If you do, just plan on writing off 1 hour of your life that you will never get back again.

Add to that Comcast, American Airlines, etc.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,839 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: OldeTowneCoinShoppe
    I am not on eBay anymore, but what in the heck does "defects" mean in ebay-ese?!

It means EBAY executives think sellers should powder puff their butts, too.
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try ATT customer service.

I get another person's bills, emails, etc. because ATT input their account to my email ID, and cannot seem to fix it. I am now on round 2 with the FCC to fix this, as ATT has now provided all this other person's person ID information to me, so I can open credit cards, etc. in their name.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file