Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A few paypal questions

If anyone can help out I appreciate it.

I have had my PP account for about 15 years. I have used it for various businesses and personal. Recently I sold my company (not hobby related) so I decided to use my paypal account as my buying account for cards. In the past I used it almost 100% for receiving payments. I can't remember using it for buying.

Anyway, I added $2000 from my bank account to PP and had no problems. I tried to add additional funds after that went into my PP account and I was blocked. The error message said I could not add funds at that time. I called PP and the rep was very evasive with his answers. He would not tell me a reason why I was blocked. I asked if there is a daily limit or a total amount limit to what I could put in my PP and all he said was, "well you can't put $100,000 in it". At that point he had no idea what I wanted to add and no it was not $100,000. Is there a daily or total limit to what you can transfer from your bank to PP?

Also, I see a lot of action on BST and prices are usually based on a friends and family no fee payment. Does paypal ever stop that or limit how much can be sent via F&F? They don't take a fee on those transactions.

Thanks.
Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying

Comments

• Options
    Fund your PP with a credit card. Pay credit card with bank account. Extra protection in all situations and you can get a decent % back (Capital One Quicksilver is 1.5% on everything). GL.
  • Options
    By"fund", you do mean just to leave your PayPal balance at $0 and then use your credit card as the payment option, correct?

I do this for the protection and the 1% cash back.
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

• Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    If you do the F&F a lot (which leaves you open to being ripped of if you do not trust the person 100%) they can and will smack your dick. This could include limiting your account, suspending your account or even banning your account. There is zero rhyme or reason to how they do it but if you put something as blatant as, "Hey Bob, here is the $600 for that AR15 I am buying from ya!!" Anything firearm related will usually get you banned from PP pretty quickly. image

Just simply leave off what the transaction is for and say something like Happy Birthday, Merry Christmas, Happy Coming Out Day (you know who you are when you sent your buy ins for the CU Fantasy Football league you *****s) or something like this and you are less likely to get shutdown quickly.

I had my account frozen for like 30 days maybe 3 years ago for paying out buy ins for Fantasy of around $1200 over a 2 day period. I was warned do not do it again. The next year I paid out maybe $2000 and nothing happened and this past NFL season paid out close to $3200 and again nothing happened.

This is PayPal for you, zero reasoning behind what they may or may not do to you. Unless gun related or something else they hate which then they just ban you ASAP.
  • Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    For some reason I thought you have to have a balance in your PP account to make a F&F payment. Am I wrong?
    Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jsanz

For some reason I thought you have to have a balance in your PP account to make a F&F payment. Am I wrong?

You can send a F&F payment from a linked bank account. You just can't use a credit card without the fee.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    So I can have a $0 balance in my PP account, initiate a F&F payment and paypal takes it direct from my bank in a few days?

Is there any reason to carry a balance in a PP account?

I feel like such a PP novice when it comes to making payments because I really only used my account for receiving. The few purchases I made were funded by my PP account balance from the payments I received.

• Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    So what is their deal with guns? That sounds awfully silly...when sending money to close friends, i have always enjoyed including a message such as "payment for 1 year supply of premium enemas" just to make the paypal employees wonder wtf...ive yet to get banned lol
  • Options
    Their deal isn't with guns, it is with people using F&F for purchases because it takes money out of their pocket.
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Actually PayPal is very anti-gun. People have been banned for doing payments both F&F and normal if they mention it is firearm related. Ammo, mags, guns, accessories, etc. 100s of documented bannings across the firearm boards online with zero tolerance for it. It was at one time also in the user agreement that you can not use PP for certain transactions which included the firearm industry. This is why there are now zero online firearm stores that will take PP, some of them even had funds tied up for a while before finally being allowed to cash out. If you want to do a transaction w/ PP on any gun board these days you must make sure it doesn't in anyway mention it is firearm related or risk both the buyer and seller getting banned.
  • Options
    Again, my comment was with regard to the previous comment. If you add text to your F&F money that says, "thanks for the purchase of X, Y, or Z", it can cause trouble.

Whether PP has any stance on guns is something that should probably not be discussed on this board.
  • Options
    To the OP.. Just link your debit to the PayPal account. The account will have zero balance but will auto transfer funds upon purchase. You should never run into a purchasing limit that way, and you won't have that delay for available funds.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Paypal keeps getting harder to use because they are cracking down on everything, and limiting accounts for any stupid reason. People should consider ditching paypal and using another electronic payment source. There are better alternatives.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle
    Paypal keeps getting harder to use because they are cracking down on everything, and limiting accounts for any stupid reason. People should consider ditching paypal and using another electronic payment source. There are better alternatives.

What alternatives are better? Ive had so much trouble with PP and would gladly move on. They are at the bottom in customer service, professionalism etc. The more I deal with them the more I'm convinced its just recent college or high school grads. Slightly better than a fast food job.
  • Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: thebaseballcardkid
    Originally posted by: garnettstyle

What alternatives are better? Ive had so much trouble with PP and would gladly move on. They are at the bottom in customer service, professionalism etc. The more I deal with them the more I'm convinced its just recent college or high school grads. Slightly better than a fast food job.

http://www.screw-paypal.com/alternatives/alternatives.html

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been using Paypal pretty much since it started and have never had any problems. Any company that large is going to have people that don't like dealing with them. I would guess that 95% of the people that have issues with Paypal did something wrong to cause those issues. How many millions of transactions go through Paypal with no problems?

James
  • Options
    Thanks for the help everyone. I think I got it now. I will be careful with the F&F option so I don't get blocked or burned. I guess PP was weird about me adding money to my account because it is really not necessary. Or maybe they are just being weird. Usually they are pretty good and helpful in my experience.

Chase has quickpay which seems like they copied PP. It has no fees and it can be done between different banks but there are daily and monthly limits. It took a few minutes for me to click around and get all the info I wanted but try this out https://www.chase.com/online/digital/quickpay.html#