Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

80s unopened football

So is there any precedence to this? And if there is, what happened on the way back down? Was it just as dramatic?

Comments

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭
    I assume your talking about the increase in FASC?
    I don't remember anything like it before..... Wondering what is next
  • Options
    FASC? Factory sealed case?
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: rcmb3220
    So is there any precedence to this? And if there is, what happened on the way back down? Was it just as dramatic?

This same upswing happened in 70's and 80's baseball just a few years ago. Maybe 2012?
    (Grote, please chime in here). It seemed like in a matter of a couple of months, boxes that would bring a few hundred had shot up to 12, 15, 1800. A feeding frenzy occured, then somewhat leveled out to near current prices. I can remember times during that rush, that it wasn't uncommon for the entire 70's and 80's (pre 1985 or so) of the BBCE website to only have a handful of packs and 0 boxes. There was a ton of threads here about it at the time.

Also, at that time, myself and a few others were saying the same thing was going to happen in football. We speculated many reasons, but my main reason for thinking it was simply production numbers. Nobody really knows for sure, but it is commonly accepted that baseball was produced like 10-1 over football. Whatever the correct ratio was, it was significant.

It was a wild ride watching it happen back then, and I'm sure it will be this time around as well.

...I just wish I would have picked more up. It stinks being poorimage

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: chipotlecowboy
    FASC? Factory sealed case?

From A Sealed Case.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Football Boxes still have room to run, save for the current FASC boom in 1986 FB. Football cards don't have the collecting history of baseball, but I see more people getting into it. Modern FB Boxes command some of the highest prices in the hobby. Plus the NFL does the best job celebrating its past through NFL Films.

Mike
  • Options
    I hope the Rice/Young and Elway/Marino stalkers keep up their insistent plundering. The "other" 80s stuff is relatively inexpensive and plenty fun to chase. As are sets of these years. I figure my chances of finding a gem in a random set is roughly the same as finding one in a multi-thousand dollar box. So far, I've been correct. I've found one in neither.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: ChiefsFan1st
    Originally posted by: rcmb3220

This same upswing happened in 70's and 80's baseball just a few years ago. Maybe 2012?
    (Grote, please chime in here). It seemed like in a matter of a couple of months, boxes that would bring a few hundred had shot up to 12, 15, 1800. A feeding frenzy occured, then somewhat leveled out to near current prices. I can remember times during that rush, that it wasn't uncommon for the entire 70's and 80's (pre 1985 or so) of the BBCE website to only have a handful of packs and 0 boxes. There was a ton of threads here about it at the time.

Also, at that time, myself and a few others were saying the same thing was going to happen in football. We speculated many reasons, but my main reason for thinking it was simply production numbers. Nobody really knows for sure, but it is commonly accepted that baseball was produced like 10-1 over football. Whatever the correct ratio was, it was significant.

It was a wild ride watching it happen back then, and I'm sure it will be this time around as well.

...I just wish I would have picked more up. It stinks being poorimage

that's odd that there was a huge price runup and then it just leveled out - no dip. That's not usually how markets work.

BBCE has a 1980 Topps football wax box and then nothing - not even an 88 or 89 box. No 1989 score boxes either - the same ones that were for sale for $229 on a Black Friday sales just a few months ago. One just sold on eBay for $382. Tail wagging the dog?
  • Options
    There may have been a small dip in prices at the time, not sure. I mostly follow 80's FB. But if there was a drop, it was very minor. I consider the fact that these days, BBCE can actually keep a few boxes on the shelf (BB that is), to be the market correction. There are guys on here that follow unopened BB much closer than me, hopefully they will chime in.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: ndleo
    Football Boxes still have room to run, save for the current FASC boom in 1986 FB. Football cards don't have the collecting history of baseball, but I see more people getting into it. Modern FB Boxes command some of the highest prices in the hobby. Plus the NFL does the best job celebrating its past through NFL Films.

Shhh. Im not done buying yetimage