Home Precious Metals

Canadian 800 fine silver coinage

ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
Does this trade regularly in Canada like our 90% does here?
I've wondered this lately. I see some here send it to the refiner.

Comments

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump because I'd like to know also. Canadian silver should be abundant enough to trade in bag quantities

Myself I like the 80% dollars a lot , I rate them equal or just a tick below US 90% Half dollars on the desirability ladder

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    It trades somewhat regularly.

Canada's silver dollars and half dollars were 80% silver up until and including 1967. Starting in 1968 they went to 100% nickel.
    The silver dimes and quarters were 80% silver up until and including 1966. Halfway through 1967 the dimes and quarters silver alloy was reduced to 50%. The remaining 50% silver blanks were used up for 1968 dimes/quarters. And then they were switched to 100% nickel.

The dollars and half dollars trade frequently as they are the more collected pieces and no need to check dates. The dimes and quarters more often end up being melted.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 80% dollars, too.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland

I like the 80% dollars, too.

What's the ASW in them?

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they are .60

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Originally posted by: coinkat

I believe they are .60

Interesting. Nominal weight is exactly 3/4 of a troy ounce with ASW at 0.60 troy ounces. A heck of a lot easier calculating than U.S. silver dollars.

Historically the CAD must have been valued at 0.60/0.7734 = 0.776 USD or were the numbers different going back further in time?

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back before WWI the canadian dollar was 1:1 with the US dollar , the sterling coinage was very close to US coins in ASW , they went to .800 silver after 1920 at the same time as a lot of other countries debased .
    Thanks bronco2078. I have not followed Canadian coins much. I have heard, "a pound sterling is penny wise". image
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: VanHalen
    Originally posted by: coinkat
    I believe they are .60

Interesting. Nominal weight is exactly 3/4 of a troy ounce with ASW at 0.60 troy ounces. A heck of a lot easier calculating than U.S. silver dollars.

Historically the CAD must have been valued at 0.60/0.7734 = 0.776 USD or were the numbers different going back further in time?

I agree, the numbers are round and even. I like that.