Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1951 Bowman Mantle discussion

I see a PSA 1.5 on eBay that has paper loss on the back but the front looks very nice and centered pretty well. I think the price was about $5,500 with a best offer.. It is very nice and I might make a run at it. I see people buying psa 3's or 4's for $3,000 to $5,000 or so. Just wondering what people think of paying roughly the same price for a really nice front with paper loss on back compared to a psa 4 let's say that is OC with obvious corner issues. Just wondering how each of us would balance out that thought process

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't feel bad paying up to 3 money for really nice looking 1-1.5s with a pinhole/minor back paper loss, but I personally can't see going any higher than that.
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Unless you're needing to sell it right away, I see no issue in buying it at that price point. That card is beautiful. In 2 years you'll be glad you got it for that.

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    That card looks fantastic! It's horrible that a little paper loss on the back like that puts the card down to a 1.5, but unfortunately it does. Its the different between a $3k card and a $10k card. I'd go for it. I would offer $3k and start from there - unless they have a min offer set.
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭
    The card was recently purchased from PWCC for $3300 so an offer of $3000 would probably not be the best way to start off negotiations if you like the card and want to work with the seller. Also the current seller was not the buying ID of that sale so ensure you are dealing with someone who actually has the card.
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: KbKards

The card was recently purchased from PWCC for $3300 so an offer of $3000 would probably not be the best way to start off negotiations if you like the card and want to work with the seller. Also the current seller was not the buying ID of that sale so ensure you are dealing with someone who actually has the card.

Good call - didn't even look. I also agree about making sure the person selling the card, has the card.
  • MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone - Was wondering why the barrage of offers on the Mantle yesterday and then I came across this thread. Thanks OP for increasing awareness! LOL

I am working on a 1915 Cracker Jack set, so as much as I'd like to keep the Mantle, funds are needed elsewhere. Rest assured I have the card and it is a beauty. Please feel free to connect with me through PM if you have any questions.

Best,
    Michael
    Go Dodgers!
  • DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a sweet looking card. I think the paper loss is in the right place too, if that's possible.
    Its at the bottom, not on the text where its talking about Mantle and his stats.

Good luck to the OP and the seller.

Sounds like its going to be tougher to buy it from the attention this thread has received.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭
    I bit it off and bought this Mantle.... Can't wait to have it in hand
  • cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! Great looking card!!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Id say you had some great foresight and got a great card considering the PSA 5 at Hunt Auctions just broke $20k with the premium. That card with that eye appeal will look like a bargain in no time.

Congrats on an awesome pick up!