Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help ID the German Medalist?

Triple struck on a thin gold 20mm diameter planchet circa 1700-1730.

I feel it may have been struck by Friedrich August, but not completely sure.

The obverse is from the biblical story of Tobias & Archangel Raphael...

The reverse pictorial does not relate to the story.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks typical of the Lauer shops, but almost impossible to tell with no indication of date or the normal "L" thereon.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno.

Wow. Interesting piece. Looks like the angel is assaulting him on the reverse! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovanWow. Interesting piece. Looks like the angel is assaulting him on the reverse! image

Yeah the reverse is a bit baffling as I just don't see them as dancing? image

• Options
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

Originally posted by: lordmarcovanWow. Interesting piece. Looks like the angel is assaulting him on the reverse! image

Yeah the reverse is a bit baffling as I just don't see them as dancing? image

What you're calling the reverse is likely reference to Jacob's wrestling with the angel from Genesis.

Just curious, how does one know what is the obverse and reverse. When this last sold it was pictured opposite to your method of picturing it.

-Brandon
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]

• Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: brg5658

What you're calling the reverse is likely reference to Jacob's wrestling with the angel from Genesis.

brg5658, you are correct. It is Jacob fighting the angel and that is the position the Angel
    by just touching him in the hip and he had to walk with a limp and cane for the rest of his life.

Very cool medal Broadstruck.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nicely done, brg5658. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I just now noticed Broadstruck, but what makes you think this thin medal was triple struck? I don't see any signs of that from the provided images.
    -Brandon

• Options

Just curious, how does one know what is the obverse and reverse.

brg5658, Thanks as I was for now just focused researching the biblical story of Tobias and Raphael.

You can tell which is obverse and reverse based on the period at the end of the saying.

It starts as "The Angel Makes Everything Good" on the obverse and ends with "Lord Bless Me So I Let You." on the reverse.

• Options

I just now noticed Broadstruck, but what makes you think this thin medal was triple struck? I don't see any signs of that from the provided images.

It's not an error just the way it was struck as if you zoom in you can see on the lettering, hands, arms, and staffs of the obverse it was triple struck with a minor shift between each strike but no rotation.