Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

A New National w/ a Little Something Special!

Here's a new pick up that I'm super excited about! It's a common bank with a high print run and examples are plentiful. However, a note from the tenth sheet printed is definitely something special!

Thanks to a forum member for releasing this one back into the wild for it to be caught by a happy collector!

Comments

• delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Great pick!
  • That's pretty sweet. Nice pick up
    Looking for Nationals, specifically Fort Dearborn, Chicago IL. Charter Number 3698
  • Very nice pickup, not my area of collecting but do like it when others come upon something really good. image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Cool serial # and a bank from San Fran that's not one of the typical ones that you see a lot. Congrats!
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Better yet, it appears to have been prepared using the interim GPO overprint plate used for the first printings for some banks due to the delay in the production of the "official" BBS plates. First printings have a different title layout, a low position of the charter number on the left and larger sigs. While this bank has a large number of type I survivors reported, only a very few - perhaps only 3 or 4 and all $20s, including your new note - are in the census.

Congrats (and you need to find one of the quite plentiful latter printings for comparison)

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome info STLNATS! The lot came with a later note too. I did not know the significance of the varying layout. I need to grab Huntoon's book off the shelf and read up on the subject! image

Here are both notes for comparison:

• STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Well lucky you! Your set is complete.

BTW, the definitive article on the subject was in the Jan/Feb 2014 Paper Money which is also available on the SPMC site. I don't have any 9xxx charters in "my" area so its fun to see the dramatically low charter number on your note.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    KEWL!
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency