Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help: Older Flip on 1955 Clemente RC... is it real?

The flip just looks off to me.... I was wondering if anyone else shares my concern? Looks like an older flip that I'm not quite accustomed to seeing so my eyes may be tricking me.

Thanks for any help!

Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait

Comments

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    I see what you mean - The number checks out, but the text does look strange.
  • Options
    graygatorgraygator Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's one that I think is from around the same time period, given the cert numbers and the bigger spacing between the year and Topps. Still, I'm having a hard time with whether the Clemente is right or not. What's going on with the top right corner of the case?

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm most concerned about the entire left edge of the OP's slab. There's a more pronounced line running the length of the slab, and the two clear squares have a thicker line through them. That could be a sign that the slab was cracked, and the card switched out.

Also, see how the bottom-left square is uneven.

Personally, I'd stay away from the card.

Steve
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    looks correct to me. No need to worry.
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    You can always call customer service with PSA and get them to help you. They might be able to confirm whether the label is correct or if the slab looks funky...

I agree that the left side of the case looks weird, especially when looking at the Gossage above.
  • Options
    Looks legit to me. But can never be too careful. I wouldn't worry in this case though.
  • Options
    Theres a great writeup where someone has listed all of the different flips according to the corresponding years. Not sure if its here on CU or on the other boards. But, again, I have no problem with this one. Ask the seller for some sort of guarantee if you reuse it. Its a great card to have for your collection. Good luck.
  • Options
    mrpeanut39mrpeanut39 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭
    With a card of this magnitude, some skepticism is warranted. I think it's okay, but I do notice that the "O" in Topps is slanted while the "O"'s in Roberto are not.
    "I think the guy must be practicing voodoo or something. Check out his eyes. Rico's crazier than a peach orchard sow." -- Whitey Herzog, Spring Training 1973
  • Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭
    i think card is ok - take a good hard look at the left side of that case just to make sure no tampering

tough to tell without having it in hand but on first look i'd say it's fine
  • Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭
    Someone with way more experience just told me that the left side looks tampered. The two divets or whatever they're called......the little holes under the left bottom corner of the flip, and the one under the left bottom corner of the card are fogged up. Looks like they've been popped compared to it's right counterparts. This also coincides with SDS's comment about the left two squares having thicker lines through them, and they're no longer even squared. Hypothetically speaking; the top right crack was probably the starting point of trying to pry it open to pop but it caused a crack, so they moved over to the left side.....that's just a theory.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Font looks skinny/thin to me.
  • Options
    That top right looks scary. Looks like a crack from trying to be separated.
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks fine to me. Did you try scanning the bar code?
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Gorgeous card, accurate grade, legit flip and font.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I thought so, but was outbid immediately!
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its fine. What sometimes happens is gravitational waves
    affect the scanning process, causing a rippled, or 'not quite right'
    look to the text and font on the flip.
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    I appreciate all of the responses. It was a live auction item that went for slightly more than VCP average (after BP), so I passed. I was willing to take a risk on the card, but I decided going in that I wasn't going to pay even "average" price for it, even though I would like a PSA 6 for my collection.
    Current T206 Needs: (Updated 9/11/17)

LaJoie Portrait 3+, Cy Young Bare Hand 3+

Ty Cobb Bat Off 4+, ANY Red & Green Portrait