Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

31869 Dominion of Canada One Shilling York

Any Canada experts on the board? I normally collect US stuff myself, but this one jumped out at me in a group of engraved/counterstamped pieces.

I see that the Hudsons Bay Company issued One Shilling notes for their York Factory, but those were dated much earlier, in 1828.

I can't find a good match for this piece. Does this ring bells with anyone?
(If nothing else, can anyone figure out the underype?)

19.5 mm diameter and very thin, 2.0 grams

Comments

• Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭
    UK 6d, late Geo III reign perhaps?
    --

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen anything like it but I have forwarded this post to a few friends of mine who might know what it is.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Host coin appears to be a "Bullhead" type sixpence, circa 1816-20.

I couldn't tell you anything about the engraving, but it's interesting.

I'd love to know what sort of other goodies might've been in that lot!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Host coin appears to be a "Bullhead" type sixpence, circa 1816-20.
    You could be right, but I can't get the outline to match up to my liking. Hard to be sure. There isn't much left of the original design.

I'd love to know what sort of other goodies might've been in that lot!
    Nothing spectacular. Mostly love tokens with initials. A couple of those are on Canadian half dollars, which is a bit nicer than usual. A couple of WWI-era military ID-type engravings. A high grade 1787 UK shilling engraved A. D. TO H. A., which is unusual as a type. Best of the rest is probably a 27 mm copper piece, engraved with a nice flower, name, initials, and a 1782 date. All in all a fun little group.
  • Options
    ttt in case we have some new eyes on the board a half-year later. I'd still love to find some information about this piece...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try it on the Liteside, too, with "exonumia" and/or "mystery" or similar keywords in the title, to draw more eyes.

(I was gonna suggest "engraved" as a keyword, too, but now that I think of it, that piece does not appear engraved so much as done with punches.)

Some of our dealer members from the northern US know a good bit about Canadian.

PS- it's a very intriguing piece. I can see why it caught your eye.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    I've got some Canadian Token gurus working on it. Hopefully they will know. B

• Options
    Here's the reply from the first Token expert:

"It’s a puzzle in that it is dated 1869, yet York became Toronto in 1834,

and we were in decimal currency mode by that time, not sterling. "

It's very confusing to me as well. Vicky was Queen in '69 and 'Dominion of Canada" coinage started here in 1858. Except for the Provincial decimal pieces from 1858 (and 1859 for cents), full-scale minting of all decimal series began in 1870 .. with cents skipping from 1859 to 1876.
  • Options
    Weird.

I suppose the simplest explanation would be if it's a straight-up fantasy that never meant anything in the first place. It still feels too specific for that... but I don't have anything to go on besides a general feeling that there ought to be something more here...

Thanks for trying!
  • Options
    US, British, Spanish and other foreign coins were still being used and accepted throughout Canada well into the 1870's. Although the city name of York had been changed to Toronto long before 1869, there were still businesses and locations named "York" in the T.O. area .. there still is a Yorkville today. It's in the heart of affluent Toronto living with high-scale shopping, hotels, etc. Maybe it's a trade token or something.