Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1986 Topps Wax Football Box Add To The Collection

So I walk in to LCS yesterday and let me set the stage. They have been around forever but moved about 8 months ago due to the strip mall they were in dying a miserable death. Anyways this is the first time in the new shop and it is a mess. 1985 Topps traded sets sitting around, 1990 Fleer Basketball boxes, you know the kind of place where you go in and tell old war stories but nothing fancy.

So checking out the new set up I am making my way around to the register area and in the case is a 1986 T Football Wax box. Now I only collect unopened and usually he has nothing in the form of vintage Wax. So I ask to see it and 35/36 packs are great. The other pack the seal has popped but looked untouched. I need an 86 FB for my run of boxes and I know they have been going crazy lately so I ask "how much".

He looks surprised I even asked and then says $1000. Well I almost said deal right there but didn't want to look too eager so I ask him to throw in 2 2016 Topps Jumbo Cellos (ok so I collect unopened but do open a new pack each year for fun) to make up for the popped pack I need to replace and he says done.

I'm super excited and to make it better I go ahead and open the popped pack and it has a Boomer Esiason, Howie Long, Deron Cherry, and last but not least a smoking nice Walter Payton.

I don't get too excited often but I was about this. He also had a 81FB box he wanted a fair $800 for but I figure I'd let that day be the day of the 1986. I'm packing it up and shipping it to BBCE on Monday. Thanks for letting me share!
#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
#FIREDAYTONMOORE

Comments

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice score. love thoes 86's.
  • Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 4, 2017 8:13AM
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Congrats and good luck with the authentication!
  • Options
    Any pics? Would love to see the candy you brought home
  • Options
    ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Awesome!! Sweet pick up on that 86 boximage

Are you planning on getting a pack to fill the box from BBCE? If your packs checks out ok, thats what I would do. Also, an 81 Topps Football in the same store? If the 86 didnt break the bank, you better grab that. At $800, I would buy every 81 box I could buy if I trusted they were good. Heck, at that price, after I ran outta money, I might even put my children on E-Bay!! LOL
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • Options
    Yes, BBCE has them in stock so I'm gonna pick it up to fill it in. The only hiccup I have on the 81 box is every pack has a bright orange 35 cent TG&Y price sticker on it. So I am confident in my own authenticating of wax and I believe the stickers almost authenticate the box by itself I just am not in love with the sticker on the pack. Although a box to open on the other hand that could be in the cards.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭
    will the stickers pop off? I bought a 77 cloth stickers box and every pack had a $5 price sticker on them. when I picked at one corner, they all popped right off
  • Options
    Great Story, go get that 81 to rip!