Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1952 Topps Mantle PSA 8 from Heritage

Looks like it's going to set a new record. The PSA 8 '52 Topps Mantle in Heritage's auction tonight is at $501,900 with an hour or two left.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    what was the prior record for an 8?
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lseecon

what was the prior record for an 8?

$486K in a PWCC auction on ebay back in Sep/Oct of last year.

Steve

• Options
    Jeez, a PSA 6 '52 Mantle just went for $101K+!

And the PSA 9 Clemente RC sold for $478K!

Steve
  • Options
    I wonder if the winners ever pay. I consigned 5 figure cards with both in the past only to be told after auction the winners did not pay and the auction houses wanted to roll my cards over to the next auction. So curious what the actual pay rate is on 6 figure items.
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    Actually, the record for a Mantle 8 still stands....one sold for a bigger price in December.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    Agree, meatloaf.

I too wonder how many of these winners are real. I wonder how many bidders are competing auction houses bidding on each others' cards, just to come up with a "new record."

Someone is getting played for a fool.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wish I had a few of those sitting around here

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    TomiTomi Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: SDSportsFan
    Jeez, a PSA 6 '52 Mantle just went for $101K+!

And the PSA 9 Clemente RC sold for $478K!

Steve

Looks like the PSA 10 Clemente a few years ago was a steal for the same price as this PSA 9 just sold for.
  • Options
    bobmoatbobmoat Posts: 257 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: Meatloaf

I wonder if the winners ever pay. I consigned 5 figure cards with both in the past only to be told after auction the winners did not pay and the auction houses wanted to roll my cards over to the next auction. So curious what the actual pay rate is on 6 figure items.

That's really weird that you would have irregularity in your auctions.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Ripken

Actually, the record for a Mantle 8 still stands....one sold for a bigger price in December.

Wow, thanks. I missed that.

Steve

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most are legit and I know for a fact one of the recent PSA 8 Mantle cards was a legit sale - saw a photo of the card by the owner after they received it.
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    I attended this auction. I am more of a coin expert than a sports memorabilia expert. Nonetheless, I was very interested in many of the items, especially Super Bowl rings, Ty Cobb cards, material relating to Babe Ruth's brief career as a pitcher, some of the 19th century documents concerning the "Red Stockings," and the consignment from Jerry Kramer. I would be delighted if members of this forum would volunteer additional information regarding these.

Though I am puzzled by the popularity of Mickey Mantle material, I am fascinated by the market values for Mickey Mantle rookie cards. There were several in this one auction! Why would some of these be worth more than a half million dollars each? How rare could they be? What are the auction records for Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb cards?

Meatloaf: I wonder if the winners ever pay. I consigned 5 figure cards with both in the past only to be told after auction the winners did not pay and the auction houses wanted to roll my cards over to the next auction. So curious what the actual pay rate is on 6 figure items.

This post startled me. In coin auctions, sales of six figure items are routine and it would be extremely unusual for the person responsible for the bid not to pay or arrange payment. If it does happen, the auction company may cover, risk a loss, and pay the consignor as if the "buyer" had paid. In any event, I wish for Meatloaf to be more specific about his experiences in this regard.

SOM: Agree, Meatloaf. ... I too wonder how many of these winners are real. I wonder how many bidders are competing auction houses bidding on each others' cards, just to come up with a "new record." ... Someone is getting played for a fool.

I cannot agree, at least not without solid evidence. In the realm of coins, Heritage has an excellent reputation for accurately and fairly reporting prices realized. I know many of the buyers. Regarding coins, the auction records are real. I have been analyzing coin auctions for more than twenty-five years, for multiple publications. I know what I am talking about.

The Marvelous Pogue Family Coin Collection, part 14: Successful Third Auction Given Uncertain Market Conditions

Market Realities & Gold in FUN Platinum Night

The Incredible Gene Gardner Coin Collection, Part 7 – The Final Auction

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me
  • Options
    Good that your realm is not being subjected to persistent scrutiny and disbelief.
  • Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    I'm a journalist, analyst. I get paid to ask questions like that. No, not on this board, but, I can't restrain myself sometimes.

I agree that my insinuation that 'someone is being played' was unnecessary, though.

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    Agree with Keith. I know many of the winners DO pay
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Analyst
    ...Though I am puzzled by the popularity of Mickey Mantle material, I am fascinated by the market values for Mickey Mantle rookie cards. There were several in this one auction! Why would some of these be worth more than a half million dollars each? How rare could they be? What are the auction records for Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb cards?...

Well to answer one of your questions, there are "only" (32) 1952 Topps Mantles graded PSA 8, (6) graded PSA 9, and (2) graded PSA 10. This has to be one if not THE most iconic card in the hobby.

It is crazy that the prices are going up on these as fast as they are. I would love to know what one of the PSA 9s or 10s would sell for at this point.
    Shayne A Sherman
  • Options
    AnalystAnalyst Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2016 2:09PM

Shayne: Originally posted by: Analyst: '...Though I am puzzled by the popularity of Mickey Mantle material, I am fascinated by the market values for Mickey Mantle rookie cards. There were several in this one auction! Why would some of these be worth more than a half million dollars each? How rare could they be? What are the auction records for Babe Ruth or Ty Cobb cards?...'

Well to answer one of your questions, there are "only" (32) 1952 Topps Mantles graded PSA 8, (6) graded PSA 9, and (2) graded PSA 10. This has to be one if not THE most iconic card in the hobby. ... It is crazy that the prices are going up on these as fast as they are. I would love to know what one of the PSA 9s or 10s would sell for at this point.

A. Could this population of 40 from grades 8 to 10 include resubmissions of some of the same cards?

B. Do you guys think that there are more than a few raw Mantle Rookie cards 'out there' that would qualify for PSA grades in the 8 to 10 range?

C. To what extent does the number of existing lower grade cards affect the values of those that grade from 8 to 10? There must be hundreds of Mantle rookie cards around.

Uncle2Pillow: Good that your realm is not being subjected to persistent scrutiny and disbelief.

Well, I did not say that all is rosy in coinland. I did say that the prices realized in major coin auctions are generally valid in the sense that the coins really did sell to buyers other than the respective consignors for the prices reported. Problems in this regard are rare. Once in a while, a reported sale might really be a re-acquisition.

It is theoretically possible that not every single person who works for every auction firm tells the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, publicly about all related matters. It is also theoretically possible that a consignor may have had a friend bid on his behalf without notifying the auction firm of such an arrangement.

What are Auction Prices?

Cards, coins, comic books, historical documents and paper money have all been subject to doctoring. We should work together to discourage such practices through learning and educating others.

The Specter of Coin Doctoring and The Survival of Great Coinst

"In order to understand the scarce coins that you own or see, you must learn about coins that you cannot afford." -Me