Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Looking for Info on this Advertising Note

I know absolutely nothing about advertising notes but a friend whom I have done business with in Sweden has posted a picture of a note on the IBNS forum and is asking for any information that might be available on this note:

In particular I'm interested in knowing the date of issue (is 1869 correct?) rarity and potential value. Thanks for the help!!
Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx

Comments

• Options
    HA has a few for different vendors, not super valuable in that condition.

$3 advertising note
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you look at the Heritage link, you can probably figure out a bit more information.

These were mass printed without the local merchant information and sold to many local printers who customized them for local merchants. They date 1869-70s, when 1860s Legal Tender Notes were still in circulation. They were pretty widely used throughout the U.S. but Western and Southern ones are scarcer.

Yes, condition is rough on this one and on many others as the paper quality is not nearly as good as banknote paper. I'd value your example at $20-$30, maybe a bit more to the right person.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    rbethearbethea Posts: 134 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to you both for the info! Will pass it along!
    Check out my world paper money collection at papermoney.x10.mx