Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Frankenstein Note or the ultimate jigsaw puzzle

This is from the "Are you Crazy" pages....but hey its Friday afternoon.

Has anyone attempted to reconstruct a bill from macerated currency? We've all seen the BEP "gift" ideas that are the shredded currency in a bag, etc. I even received a Christmas wreath made out the stuff.

Anyway, I wonder if you could glue the small strips onto a back board to form a Frankenstein note. It would be interesting to see what it would look like and just how close it could be made to the original. The strips of currency would be laid in all directions to reproduce the image depending on how the original notes went into the shredder. It could be quite challenging if the wad of shredded currency you start with had mixed denominations. It might make a pretty cool piece of art for the wall.

It brings up some interesting questions:

With your currency knowledge and sleuthing capabilities could you do all denominations?
How crazy would it be to find pieces of a $500 or $1,000 in a sample of shredded currency?
Do you think you could identify pieces of a shredded $500 or $1,000 in, say, a gallon sized ziploc bag of shredded smaller denoms?
What would the grade be and what special designations would be on the holder? (Insert silly 3 letter acronyms here).

I guess if you had an intact bill from each denomination laying out (much like a box top for a jigsaw puzzle) you could slide the strip over the surface of the intact note to identify the position it should be glued in.

Rick

P.S. Shredding your own dollar and then gluing it back together does not count.

Comments

• Options
    HA has been selling old macerated currency items over the last month or so in their Tuesday auction. Here is one that is pretty cool.

edited to add a link I uploaded myself as the forum software does not actually work with that whole 21st c thingie..