Home Precious Metals
Options

Engelhard 12th series 10 ounce bars

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know it's anecdotal, but I've only ever seen maybe five of the early 1980s(?) 12th series bars. These are horizontal pressed bars, with prooflike finish front and elongated octagon pattern on the back.

About these bars, allengelhard says the "P" prefix serial numbers are somewhat rare with a mintage of fewer than 10,000 pieces, but the "C" prefix number, like these below, were produced in much larger numbers of approximately 100,000 pieces with an additional 50,000 "C" pieces with a stippled reverse instead of the Engelhard cartouche.

Examples can be found on eBay. But they tend to be pretty rough. I think the prooflike finish makes them susceptible to surface damage.

I think they're an interesting transition between the old pour horizontal bars and the modern vertical bars.

What has your experience been? Are they plentiful? Do they hold any interest for you?

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Engelhard bars and that's certainly a nice one. Some people collect based on design types but are there that many people that collect silver bars based on the serial number?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like them, I wouldn't call them rare, but certainly not plentiful either...
    Here's half of one:
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL! That's an awesome pic, asheland image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Indeed!

Although I cannot answer as to how they cut it!
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland

Indeed!

Although I cannot answer as to how they cut it!

Looks like it was cut with a chisel and hammer. Probably a jeweler or artisan who needed to melt some silver to cast something in a mold.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    they got that guy with the teeth from the old james bond movie to bite that in half
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Looks like big bolt cutter teeth marks to me. Cut one side then the other.
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    More than likely bolt cutters, but less interesting than thinking that Jaws did it......

@ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    gsa1fangsa1fan Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: guitarwes
    More than likely bolt cutters, but less interesting than thinking that Jaws did it......

image Jaws testing for purity like old westimage
    Avid collector of GSA's.
  • Options
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: asheland
    I like them, I wouldn't call them rare, but certainly not plentiful either...
    Here's half of one:

Yikes! The rare P series!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Very common bar, that surprisingly still goes for a decent premium considering it's a series that is readily available
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I view the 12th series 10 oz bars to be common. In terms of production numbers the 10,000 for the "P" prefix is still quite a lot.

A fair number are squirreled away with what I view as my common silver bullion. At shows I will buy them only if they are selling for not more than $2-3 over.