Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Wondercoins Silver Washington Registry Set

I'm pretty good at reading the registry and I check the dimes and quarters daily. I never thought I'd see a better silver wash quarter set then Mitch's. Does a higher ranked set exist? I believe so. The #42 set "Red's Silver Washington Quarters" has a much higher GPA ranking then Mitch's. If you track the set backwards you see the owner has purposely left out one coin to keep the set off the front page or from topping Mitch's set. So the question is: Who is Red?

Comments

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick. I believe I know who "Red" is. And, I wish him the very best with his Silver quarter set.

Keep in mind what I am working on with respect to Mint State Washington quarters. There are 83 silver quarters in the MS silver quarter set. There are 413 Washington quarters in the 1932-date MS set Not including any of the varieties covered in the complete variety sets or MN tree sets! My primary focus are these 413 MS Washington quarters (through 2015). Just last night, I screened with Justin thousands of 2015 dated "S" mint coins to try to hunt down the elusive MS68 specimens. Did you know that except for the 1932D and 1932S (and possibly 1937-S), the lowest Mintage Mint State Washington quarters in history are these S mint National Park quarters from the past few years? They blow away the mintages of nearly all the coins from the 1930s, 1940's, etc. And, overall, the quality is horrible (just ask Oreville who once tried to slab an MS67). MS67's are quite the challenge to make. MS68's and 69's - forget about it. Many of these are the future condition rarities of the 21st century.

And, of course, we both know how rare some of the Clad dimes and quarters are in top grade with true quality for the grade from 1965-1999 and beyond.

The Washington quarter will be 100 years old soon enough and about 1/3 of those MS coins will likely be struck in silver vs. 2/3 clad. And, there will be many highly collectible and conditionally rare clad coins when the dust settles. This is quite the opportunity to stake your claim to a few of the future Hall of Fame clad rarities if you want to put in the time and effort.

Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • C0INB0YC0INB0Y Posts: 627 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: wondercoin

... Did you know that except for the 1932D and 1932S (and possibly 1937-S), the lowest Mintage Mint State Washington quarters in history are these S mint National Park quarters from the past few years? They blow away the mintages of nearly all the coins from the 1930s, 1940's, etc. And, overall, the quality is horrible (just as Oreville who once tried to slab an MS67). MS67's are quite the challenge to make. MS68's and 69's - forget about it. Many of these are the future condition rarities of the 21st century.....

Wondercoin.

That is an astounding bit of fact, Mitch!
    I was ‘COINB0Y' with 4812 posts and ‘Expert Collector’ ranking (Joined in 2006).
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    Mitch, I know your 1932 - date set will never be matched. I always look at the silvers as a separate set. I never thought another silver set would be built that could rival yours (GPA Rank) without you selling
    your set or breaking it up. I took a look at the pops for the silvers and wow!!! I cant believe the amount of 67+ coins that have been graded. I see now how this could happen. Why do you think Red keeps his
    set -1 coin? You can tell him he's been had and can now pop his set to #1. I can't imagine there is much room for improvement with a 68.00 GPA.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who knows Nick...someone might just be doing this to your #1 silver Roosies...imageimage

Later, Paul.
    Originally posted by: Stooge
    Who knows Nick...someone might just be doing this to your #1 silver Roosies...imageimage

Will never happen Paul. Who else would want to collect high grade FB Roosies anyway.
    Nick. Yes, of course the flood of MS67+ and MS68 recent silver upgrades (not to mention MS66 32-D gradeflation, etc) is a game changer. Later this year, I may dust off a bunch of coins that have not seen PCGS for several years and seek out some upgrades myself. But, for now, the effort is directed at the 50+ years of those super tough clad quarters. Wondercoin.
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't like the fact that you cant see the set.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sparky64
    I don't like the fact that you cant see the set.

I agree. It's like buying a great book to read and all the
    pages are blankimage

Originally posted by: onlyroosies

Will never happen Paul. Who else would want to collect high grade FB Roosies anyway.
    Here's the thing...Nick can still upgrade 21 dimes in his beautiful Silver Roosie set. He has 9 pop (1/0) which gives him 2 bonus points. That is 18 points, so if my rough math is correct, than your set can be passed.

Anything is possible...

Later, Paul.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A whole century old in less than two decades!! I hadn't even thought of this and I'm looking for evidence that time is flying, leaping, or bounding. image

When I started collecting in 1957 I thought of the Washingtons as one of the new series in circulation. Now that old worn out 1932's are approaching the century mark.
    Tempus fugit.
  • erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on great sets Mitch and Red!
    Thanks Erwindoc.

CK... Yes, it is crazy. I started seriously collecting the Washington quarters (Silver and Clad) in 1983... about 33 years ago now. Some of my top coins in my set I found 32 or 33 years ago and I have yet to find a nicer specimen.

Stooge... The action picks up as the pop 1 coins ( that were often that way for a decade or two) quickly become pop 2 and 3 and the 2 point bonuses are lost. Then, on top of that, some lower end quality pop tops (or pop 1/0) are made that you refuse to add to your set, but your challenger accepts for his/her set. Before you know it, someone has technically "caught you".

In my silver quarter set alone, I lost the better part of roughly a dozen pop 1/0 coins in the past few years.

Wondercoin
    Mitch,

If I'm reading the pop report right it looks like someone just made a 1964 MS68. Looks like it hasn't hit the pop report totals but shows up in the bonus section of your
    registry set. I bet one shows up sometime this week in the pop report.

I feel your pain, I lost 2 Silver pop 1/0's with in the last 30 days. They were both 2 weight coins and knocked me down 6 points. I picked up 3 new silvers and 1 new clad.
    I about broke even on points.

Onlyroosies
    Nick. It would certainly not surprise me if a business strike MS68 specimen of the 1964-P was recently slabbed. But, keep in mind that I believe there is already an MS68 in existence - the SMS version which can be included in the slot.

Wondercoin

Mitch, That's probably the coin I am seeing. That coin should only be allowed in the variety set.
    I have my MS68 1964 SMS Roosie in my 1946-64 MS Set. image

Wondercoin
    I have my MS68 1964 SMS Roosie in my 1946-64 MS Set. image

Wondercoin

But it's not FB. With the FB bonus a 66FB is equivalent to a 68 no-FB image
    Last I checked, no 1964 SMS dime had received an FB designation. It's still a cool coin (w/o FB) with roughly a Mintage of less than 2 dozen specimens. Wondercoin.
    I agree it's a great coin. I have one in SP67
  • MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    I've been trying to build a 1964 sms set for nearly 2 years now, and I've yet to come across any offerings. I'm amazed that both of you have 1964 sms coins, nice goingimage
  • cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're making a wish list, I'll have a Washington 1964-P blast white in 67+ or MS68 image
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't figure out which of the 50 registry set categories of Washington quarters you are referring to, which one is it? Thanks.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Originally posted by: RichieURich

I can't figure out which of the 50 registry set categories of Washington quarters you are referring to, which one is it? Thanks.

I think it's this one.

Thread Registry set

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Originally posted by: RichieURich

I think it's this one.

Thread Registry set

Thanks, Sparky64!

Wow, that is a great set! I love the 1947-S and the 1949! Congratulations to Wondercoin on this set!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Thanks Rich. You certainly picked two of my favorite coins as well. I have refrained from adding coins to the silver set that are average to below average, dull, poorly struck, etc. There are easily a half dozen "upgrades" I have passed on this year for that reason. I will not compromise the quality of the set in exchange for a higher ranking.
    Wondercoin
    "I've been trying to build a 1964 sms set for nearly 2 years now, and I've yet to come across any offerings. I'm amazed that both of you have 1964 sms coins, nice going"

Eli ... I may have an extra 1964 quarter SMS MS67 available later this year. Without question (and knowing ownership is worth a half point), my nicer coin of the two should be an MS67+ or MS68 and I may need to submit both coins together a few times for PCGS to have a better look at my better coin. The "lesser" coin was also graded years and years ago and quite possibly a shot MS67+. My "problem" might be when they upgrade the coin I like the least. I've made a note to talk with you about the extra coin down the road.

Wondercoin
    This thread has had me confused since the op.

I can be easily confused btw, so no big news there. image

If the intent was to call attention to wondercoin's Registry set(s) then I'm all for it.

Can never get enough.

But the question was "Does a higher ranked set exist?" and "Who is Red"?.

No, a higher set does not exist. If it did it would be................number 1.

What hammers do people have sitting on the bench, waiting to get in the game? Who knows?

As to who Red is, I certainly don't know but it appears some do.

It looks to me, just from his Registry, that he doesn't want the viewing public to know either.

That's his prerogative. Can't fault him for that.

If the intent was to call attention to wondercoin's Registry set(s) then I'm all for it.
    Can never get enough.

What hammers do people have sitting on the bench, waiting to get in the game? Who knows?

It looks to me, just from his Registry, that he doesn't want the viewing public to know either.

The intent was to call out Red, and yes his set has a higher GPA than Wondercoins set. He is hiding his set by removing one coin from it. If that coin was added to his set he would be listed as #1. Sure it's his prerogative to keep his set hidden, but he also listed it on a public viewing site. I was noting that I was a bit shocked to see a higher GPA ranked set than Mitch's set.

"Does a higher GPA ranked set exist"... Yes
    "Who is Red"... I still don't know

• GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: onlyroosies

Can never get enough.

The intent was to call out Red, and yes his set has a higher GPA than Wondercoins set. He is hiding his set by removing one coin from it. If that coin was added to his set he would be listed as #1. Sure it's his prerogative to keep his set hidden, but he also listed it on a public viewing site. I was noting that I was a bit shocked to see a higher GPA ranked set than Mitch's set.

"Does a higher GPA ranked set exist"... Yes

"Who is Red"... I still don't know

I could understand not wanting to publicize a coin collection and not being on the registry. But can someone explain why you would be on the registry and intentionally "hide" it by not listing one coin? Thx

Originally posted by: Gazes
    I could understand not wanting to publicize a coin collection and not being on the registry. But can someone explain why you would be on the registry and intentionally "hide" it by not listing one coin? Thx

I would imagine that it is out of respect that he doesn't take over the #1 spot. Wondercoin does have a few friends on these boards and in the registry....or at least would hope he has a friend. image

Later, Paul.

Originally posted by: Gazes

I would imagine that it is out of respect that he doesn't take over the #1 spot. Wondercoin does have a few friends on these boards and in the registry....or at least would hope he has a friend. image

Awwww I see. That makes sense. Thanks

Hey, I am just happy that yesterday I secured a seldom seen (for me at least) upgrade to the state quarter portion of my 1932-date Mint State set --- a Hawaii D in MS67+ (pop 2/0). Man is that a tough coin!

Wondercoin

Hey, I am just happy that yesterday I secured a seldom seen (for me at least) upgrade to the state quarter portion of my 1932-date Mint State set --- a Hawaii D in MS67+ (pop 2/0). Man is that a tough coin!

Wondercoin

Excellent ! Thanks for the update and congrats