Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

This is slightly OT, but I need help with MS Word

Each tag of mine is 1-5/8" x 1-5/8", done with MS Word for Mac 2011. My problem is that in the tag below, I'd like them to be adjoined so I can simply cut and fold. I am terrible with doing this stuff. It took me forever for me to figure out MS Word enough just to do the below tag. At work, someone usually helps me do anything beyond the most basic of basic stuff using MS Office.

What I am asking is this: using any of MS Word/Excel/PP (whatever fits!), please help me create a joined double-tag and a joined triple-tag, so I can write my data inside each tag box, cut as desired, and fold over along the joined edges.

Each tag needs be at least 1-5/8" x 1-5/8" and at most 1-3/4" x 1-3/4" to fit inside fancy display trays.

You can email me at the address listed in my signature.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Create a two column, one row table. Your should be able to specify row height and column width
  • pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not use native Mac applications like Pages? Much easier to use than Word, though I admit to not upgrading to the latest major releases because they have been "dumbed down" to be like iPhone apps.
  • EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is my attempt using Apple Notes. It's 1.74" x 1.74", which is nice. But the problem is I can't get the two text boxes any closer. If I move the right box more left, then the text inside the left box gets squeezed.

Still, I appreciate the suggestion by Pruebas to try out Notes. It is easier than Word.

Skingspan, I did try a 1x2 table, but I ran into other problems with sizing and weird leftover artefacts interfering with the textual format.

Notes? What about Pages? Isn't that the Word analog?
    Sorry - I meant Pages. Don't know why I wrote Notes.

Success, using a 1x2 table in Pages. 1.75" x 1.75". Thanks for the help, guys!

Nice. You don't keep acquisition date & price (or price code) and/or inventory number on each coin insert?

How do you or your heirs track them?

Myself, I like the date to be listed right in the bold section next to the country. I consider that critical information and dislike when a dealer (CNG, Atlas) bury it within the text description.
    Originally posted by: pruebas
    Nice. You don't keep acquisition date & price (or price code) and/or inventory number on each coin insert?

How do you or your heirs track them?

Myself, I like the date to be listed right in the bold section next to the country. I consider that critical information and dislike when a dealer (CNG, Atlas) bury it within the text description.

I only track my prices, which I keep in a spreadsheet. If I tell people how much I paid for a coin, they'll think I am crazy since I probably badly overpay for stuff too often. image

Also, I find prices from yesteryear having little relevance to current pricing.

EVP

I've run into another hiccup. It seems that my laser printer (not commercial grade, mind you), doesn't print too well on the thicker light blue stock paper that I use. The print seems to lay lightly on the paper. When I simply cut and taped back-to-back, it worked ok. But now that I have to fold, it seems that the print flakes or smudges too easily. Test runs on regular-thickness white paper is fine. So, I may have to switch either to white paper of same thickness, or light blue paper of standard thickness.

Sigh. More trial and error...

EVP

• 1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: EVillageProwler
    I've run into another hiccup. It seems that my laser printer (not commercial grade, mind you), doesn't print too well on the thicker light blue stock paper that I use. The print seems to lay lightly on the paper. When I simply cut and taped back-to-back, it worked ok. But now that I have to fold, it seems that the print flakes or smudges too easily. Test runs on regular-thickness white paper is fine. So, I may have to switch either to white paper of same thickness, or light blue paper of standard thickness.

Sigh. More trial and error...

EVP

It could be the type of paper as opposed to the thickness. Maybe the paper stock you're using isn't correct for laser printers. Something to do with the weave (like thread count?) or grain structure and how it absorbs the ink.
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
    Originally posted by: 1960NYGiants
    It could be the type of paper as opposed to the thickness. Maybe the paper stock you're using isn't correct for laser printers. Something to do with the weave (like thread count?) or grain structure and how it absorbs the ink.

Well, I have good news for those of you tired of ongoing printing issues. image

Went to Staples this morning and bought premium paper (25% cotton, slightly thicker), and specifically stated for laser printing. It's white (my previous attempts was with light blue stock), but that's fine. The result is a sheet of sharp, clear text.

For those of you planning on doing what I'm doing, make sure that your printer and paper are a match. Regular-thickness paper rated for any type of printer should be fine, no matter the color, but white will be safest.

If you plan to use premium paper or stock, or not white, then I recommend heeding Gene's advice and pair the paper to the printer type.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

EVP