Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Katanga

Katanga was a secessionist state that seceded from Congo (the former Belgian Congo) in 1960 under President Moïse Thsombe. The country had a tumultuous history since its inception, which was shortly after the Belgian Congo became independent on short-lived notice in 1960 in a period in which what now is the Democratic Republic of the Congo was in chaos. Even though Katanga was never formally recognized by any other nation (not even by Belgium, which supported the secession) it did play an important role in the Cold War and even saw UN intervention, which was one of the main reasons the country was defeated in early 1963 and again was absorbed in Congo.

Despite it's short-lived existence Katanga issued almost 90 stamps, three coins (including a gold commemorative) and two series of banknotes. The latter are the topic of this thread.

The first series, which consists of six denominations was put into circulation in early 1961 and circulated quite extensively through the region. Denominated in Katangese Francs and consisting of various dates for the lower denominations, the notes were printed in Switzerland by Roto-Sadag. The notes feature the portrait of Moïse Thsombe on the front and the Theatre Building in Elisabethville on the back. In issued form the notes are very scarce in high grades, especially the three highest denominations, which are almost never encountered in anything close to uncirculated condition. The three lower denominations are more easily encountered, but none of them are particularly easy in uncirculated condition.

The second series, consisting of three banknotes, are far superior to those of the first series. Printed in the Netherlands by Joh. Enschede & Zonen, these were of standard quality on watermarked paper (the watermark is the head of an elephant). The notes feature native scenes on the front and rosette of masks and spears on the back. Issued shortly before Katanga ceased to exist, it is not known to what extent these circulated, but they must have as especially the 100 francs can frequently be encountered in circulated condition. In uncirculated condition none of the notes are easily found, and I personally consider the 500 Francs to be the absolute key of the country in uncirculated condition (it's one of only a few notes from Katanga in issued form that I do not have in uncirculated condition).

Specimens are known for all issues, and those I present in this thread, all in uncirculated form. The first series has nonsense serial numbers (no ZZ prefixes were ever printed), 00.00.00 for the date and are perforated "SPECIMEN". The second series have ZZ and 0's for the serial number, but have the first date of issue, and are overprinted on both sides with a red "SPECIMEN".

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    interesting series of notes and their story - thanks
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    Very interesting notes and history of this short-live country and currency issue.
  • Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Dennis, thanks for the display and write up of the Katanga notes. These are one of my favorite Countries to try to get a set of them (with -16 which is even harder). I was lucky that the 1st issue 500 Specimen had the -61 serial, so I have one of them.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Never seen those before.. thanks for sharing. Very cool when you know the history behind the notes.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    Great history lesson and even greater display. image
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see uncompleted printings of these from time to time, the completed specimens are quite scarce though.

Curiously some of the Biafran pound notes are very common whilst some of the earliest varieties are just about as rare as the Katangan notes.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    daveudaveu Posts: 97 ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much for sharing. It's posts like this that make this forum such a joy sometimes.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Set!!!
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing Dennis
    Never saw banknotes signed twice on the front- and the backside (first series)
    second series are more beautifull designed imho
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.