Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Newp: Italian States Piastra from Naples

This was from the recent Long Beach, CA, show. I wasn't there, but Greg Margulies went there to do some business for him and for me. Along the way, he picked up this coin that he thought I would like. It was priced right, so he just bought it and then contacted me after he got home. Sure enough, I did like it from the images he sent me.

(He used a Samsung Android phone to take the pictures, which I processed through PSE. His images had too much reddish hue, which I was able to adjust. My iPhone had the inverse result: the pictures came out grey-scale and flat. The actual coin is like the image I present here, but in hand a lot flashier and a bit brighter and less grey-ish.)

Back to the coin...

In an effort to curb my horrible spending, but still able to scratch that itch, I've taken to writing tags for my coins. It's time-consuming, but a lot of fun. And, educational too. The information contained here is from help with a bunch of Italian numismatists. My Italian is weak (I only know the courtesy phrases). Luckily, their "coin English" is stronger than my "coin Italian".

This coin will eventually go to one of the TPG's (probably NGC). Greg thinks this should grade MS63. We'll see.

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks JCM. Anyone else here make their own tags? From what I can tell, most folks here have more knowledge about their coins than I do of mine. Of course, this is probably more about time than knowledge.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a rather cool newp..I really like the reverse a lot..look at the crown details alone.

He's correct btw, it should fetch a 63.
  • Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Very nice! I like the winged coat of arms.

I also enjoy making tags for medals and for coins of my collection that are not in TPG holders. An evening spent researching a medal or coin in detail is wonderfully relaxing.
  • Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP, that's a sharp looking piastra and your tag has a very professional format, well done. I keep catalog descriptions and whatever additional research I do in a spreadsheet and I particularly focus on keeping the provenance -- if only more sellers would track that too. I once bought a taler from an eBay seller that turned out to be previously owned by Zohar.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. This really is a fine looking coin: strike and luster are quite nice.

Originally posted by: jgenn
    EVP, that's a sharp looking piastra and your tag has a very professional format, well done. I keep catalog descriptions and whatever additional research I do in a spreadsheet and I particularly focus on keeping the provenance -- if only more sellers would track that too. I once bought a taler from an eBay seller that turned out to be previously owned by Zohar.

I, too, wish more dealers would track provenance. CNG and the European dealers tend to do so, but not so the Americans (except for the ones that behave like European dealers).

I first got started with writing my own tags because someone at CNG encouraged me to do so for my Anglo-Saxon stuff (which are nearly 100% raw). Since the encouragement came from CNG, I decided to copy their format as well as their conservative grading standards. I used to prefer submitting my coins to PCGS, but since I started writing my own tags I realized that the NGC slabs have a large smooth back surface to which I can affix my tag (I insert the tag into a plastic flip first). A PCGS slab has contours that make this awkward. And, the newest PCGS slabs have even more dramatic contours which make it nigh impossible to affix a tag.

I've written several tags of Italian and German States pieces, and each seem to take usually 30 minutes to 1 hour, but sometimes I'll be making corrections for days. (I can't print the tags until they are correct, and accuracy is paramount because the post-writing steps are also time consuming.)

EVP

• Options
    I hope folks don't mind that I'm talking about the tags. I mentioned these tags privately to a fellow forum member, and he told me that I was simply showing off. I don't want to offend, and I really think this is a low cost, fun and highly educational way to enjoy our hobby.

Anyway, here is a sample tag with a slab: tag in plastic flip (actually, one side of a double-sided flip), with a paper flip to hold previous dealer tags.

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    I'd keep doing the tags, I like them.