Home Sports Talk
Options

Lets hear about your competive Weekend Warrior escapades.

sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
No College or High School stuff. As an adult.

Bowling, baseball, softball, golf, hockey, racing, running, basketball..........fill in the blanks.

I've been on the sidelines for a few years but miss some competition.

Used to be in a few bowling leagues. 190'ish average.

Played in an adult baseball league.

Lots of modified pitch softball, of which we were the most successful.

Having a mid-life crisis and recently bought a pair of Easton Mako M8 hockey skates.

Something I've always wanted to try.

Not sure how realistic it is but hey, at least I have some awesome skates. image

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love to play competitive golf. I've been a member of a club since 1994. One year we had 64 competitors in a match play event. I remember how proudly I told my wife after my first match. "Honey" I said. "64 people in the competition and in my first time out I came in second."
    Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    You mean like sanctioned competition? LOL. No.

But, like racing from the top of Mammoth on downhill skis to the lodge to see who pays for dinner and beers?

Yeah, that was fun.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Tonight was the first game of the season, yes it was frigid, and we played at Daegu Stadium! I was thrilled and excited. I watched many games there and cheered on my adopted home town team the KBO Samsung Lions at this stadium the last two years, going on three. They now have a new stadium. I will never forget this. We may get to play here again this season. I went 1-4, R, RBI and played 3B and SS in the win.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got league defensive MVP in a over 18 flag football league back in 1996. I played on 7 championship winning softball teams in my 21 years of playing.
  • Options
    I don't tend to compete against anyone but myself. I always am trying to out perform myself. I'm in the gym 4 to 6 days a week. In the midst of planning a little training bike ride from SF to LA in order to tackle something much more severe. Still surf 25+ years later and always challenging myself with regard to that.

The one area I find intriguing in terms of competition against others is poker. I have a natural ability it seems when it comes to poker. The first tournament I entered was a Poker Stars online tournament of 5,000 people and after an exhausting 10+ hours I landed on the final table. I ended 7th which I still firmly believe I could of placed higher if I maintained my patience and didn't make a bet based on being completely exhausted. It really did not matter much at that point as reaching the final table guaranteed you paid entry + airfare + room into a tournament in the Caribbean where real money was at stake. The stupid thing is I decided not to go.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update to this old thread.
    Was planning on attending a coin auction this Sunday but my funds were diverted.

Anyone else have any new sports stories about feeding that competitive desire?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to play Tennis, Softball (both fast and slow pitch.....I preferred fast) and Volleyball in leagues.

That was a long time ago.....I just turned 69 in August.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since blowing out my knee playing softball, and my back going south, poker is it for me. Have won several tournaments. Would play more if online was legal :(

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    I used to play Tennis, Softball (both fast and slow pitch.....I preferred fast) and Volleyball in leagues.

That was a long time ago.....I just turned 69 in August.

Damn. I pictured you as much younger than that. You're even older than me.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've run ten marathons but I'm retired from long distances now.

Daniel
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread

Have not done anything competitive in years. Enjoyed softball, bowling and golf. I still play golf- just not as often as I would like.

One thing that I like to do in golf to keep it from becoming too frustrating is to keep track of what I consider to be good shots. And if that number is good, I can still feel good about my game even if my score missed the mark which seems to happen frequently.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.