Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Collector's Universe: Enough is enough!

I will start by saying that I am not a shill for either PCGS Currency or PMG. I trust both companies performance when it comes to accurate and unbiased certification and grading and collect notes that have been encapsulated in both companies holders. But I felt the need to speak out today about the current situation involving Collector's Universe and PCGS Currency and want to make an appeal to Collector's Universe to resolve this matter with PCGS Currency as quickly as possible as I feel that it is hurting the hobby and overall reputation of PCGS greatly.

So for the second consecutive Long Beach coin show PCGS Currency was not allowed to set up with a table or do on-site grading. This was very disappointing to me and many others on the West coast who prefer submitting notes and/or picking them up in person rather than mailing them in and paying more shipping fees. And since PMG does not do on-site grading at Long Beach, the lack of PCGS Currency meant that no notes could be graded on-site. Furthermore note collector's were only left with one option which is never a good thing.

We've even had discussions about this at the last two Los Angeles Paper Money club meetings. I keep getting asked by club members when they will be back at the show (because they all know that I am an active customer of both companies) and each time I have to tell them that I don't know and hopefully they will be back at the next show. Many of us are really hoping they return for the next show which is in June.

We're asking Collector's Universe to please come to work directly with PCGS Currency and come to an amicable agreement as soon as possible. Please allow Jason and Laura back at the Long Beach coin show again as their presence provides collector's with one on one, personable insights into the grading processes and overall hobby that really can't be achieved at the next table over. Please allow them to take back control of their forum once again. Please come to an agreement so that both Collector's Universe and PCGS Currrency can work together to promote the same PCGS brand that is currently being damaged, perhaps irreparably by the reluctance of Collector's Universe to make a deal.

To the forum members: Please post in this thread if you are in agreement with me! Sign this petition to get a resolution to this dispute sooner rather than later! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    FishmongerFishmonger Posts: 42 ✭✭✭
    Larry -

There is probably more going on here than meets the eye.

I hope Collector's Universe will look to address this in order to benefit themselves and the hobby as a whole.

Dan

CurrencyAmerica.com

• Options
    TheRockTheRock Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Larry, I doubt Don Willis actually cares.

They have their new currency side up and running so I would bet that he will just let it run it's course which means many, many more months of this BS

"GOT TO LOVE THEM SMALL SIZE DEUCES, SC's, LT's & FRN's"

John DeRocker
    President/CEO
    The Rocks Collectables, LLC
    TRC, LLC
    jderocker003@gmail.com
    SPMC Member - LIFETIME
    EBAY - TRC, LLC

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    Sooner the better, get it done!
  • Options
    Yes, miss PCGS. One thing they provide is some friendly expert advice. Competition is good, helps the hobby. The show is not the same without PCGS there.

For good of the hobby, hope things are resolved.

I am a fan of both PMG and PCGS, I submit notes to both and I buy notes from both.
    US small size Federal Reserve Note collector with focus on 1928 to 1950E and main focus on 1934 to 1934D series. $5 to $100 denominations.

kurtisjohnson is my eBay ID

http://www.ebay.com/sch/kurtisjohnson/m.html
  • Options
    And, of course, we know who gets stuck in the middle!
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

I would love to see this all resolved quickly and fairly but I won't hold my breath on either.

I will gladly sign my name to this petition. The current situation and tactics being used are hurting all involved (including collectors) and if CU thinks they are or will win over collectors with their current actions, they are delusional...

Find a way to work together or just honor your contractual commitments...

Johnathan Burris
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    WHY would you make the deal -
    then after Laura and Jason grow a
    business that you felt had very little upside -
    decide that you wanted to back out.
    At one point I owned one of the top three MS Lincoln Registry sets and was a HUGE PCGS-C supporter. If this continues I could not in good faith send any one to Collectors Universe.

What are your companies core values? Does Integrity ever come into play?

• Options
    I seldom post on these forums but have been keeping close tabs on this situation through several other collectors and felt the need to express support here for the current PCGS Currency crew and call for a quick resolution to this nonsense.

I'm also a West Coast guy and what I've observed, particularly involving the Long Beach Coin Show, seems really childish and even self-destructive on the part of CU (a "cut off your nose to spite your face" scenario, if you ask me). Not constructive for the overall PCGS brand while at the same time, providing benefit to its #1 competitor. Brilliant work, CU. It would be like Home Depot taking deliberate steps to drive business away from one of its affiliates and into the arms of Lowes.

A few additional thoughts. I've been around this hobby/industry for quite some time, use both services quite frequently and I've actually seen the quality of grading from PCGS Currency improve (become more accurate and consistent) since the CU transition 6-7 years ago or whenever it was. It has become a better company, in my book. The PCGS Currency that's been nurtured since 2010 seems to be really "on the ball" when it comes to technical aspects of note evaluation, even if it leaves the submitter feeling disappointed (I routinely feel the burn, haha). I can't really get anything by them (to be honest, my raw "potential-slider" notes are mostly sent to PMG, with the hopes of them missing a minor flaw here or there or giving me that extra point). As tough as PCGS Currency may be, however, they are quick to reward a true cherry with its rightful badge of honor grade and these crystal-clear holdered notes definitely get the action within the marketplace that they deserve. Very good "third-party" work on the part of Jason and team over the last several years when you step back and look at it.

I strongly agree with the point of this thread and call for quick and fair resolution to the matter at hand, whatever the "behind the scenes" private details may be. Get it resolved and done with, quick.
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    Amen pibbthug. this is totally ridiculous and quite the turn off to be honest. I've been around many decades as well and to see the BS play out reminds me of kindergarten games on the play ground. Enough said for my own sake.
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused so probably shouldn't ask this, but what is the root of the conflict?
  • Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to know, too.
    Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options
    There's an old thread about the conflicts. Will try to find it.

Retired

• Options
    Whatever the feud is about you can pretty much bet that green spending money plays into the equation somewhere!
  • Options
    dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: synchr

I'm confused so probably shouldn't ask this, but what is the root of the conflict?

Greed and Jealously on the part of Collectors Universe IMHO
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Link doesn't work or someone made the thread go away?

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    try this:

fixed

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    Okay, I deleted my erroneous link, not sure what happened. Apologies all around, think I'll stick to what I know and not try things above my pay grade.

Retired

• Options
    The old thread linked here pretty much sums the dispute up, at least from our point of view. The only update is that the lawsuit was dropped and this is all headed to arbitration. Hopefully it is resolved soon, as we have far better things to do than worry about this annoyance...but, given the track record, I'm not holding my breath either...
    Jason W. Bradford
    President, PCGS Currency
    jbradford@pcgscurrency.com

• Options
    bonkroodbonkrood Posts: 796 ✭✭✭
    A least it sounds like things are going in the right direction. image
    image Steam Power
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Arbitration is good.
  • Options

We also discussed other related items in this thread.
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oklahomadannyWe also discussed other related items in this thread.

Found in the February Special too

Originally posted by: jwbradford
    VirginiaCollector is, sadly, correct...despite the fact that we purchased this section of the message board when we split from CU in 2009, they seem to have unilaterally decided to take it back over... Just another example of the sort of thing we've had to deal with lately...

Originally posted by: jwbradford
    Thank you all for doing your part! Our best defense against the mindset of those who believe that "might makes right" is the power of the marketplace. We believe that we've demonstrated our staying power as a legitimate third-party grading service for paper money, and perhaps our adversaries have inferred the same in their attempt to take back the PCGS brand name for banknote grading. It's a shame that it's come to this, as we've done nothing but promote the PCGS brand from day one. It's all about greed and nothing more.[/