Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

New Texas Discovery

Here's an interesting 10 Cent note I purchased in Long Beach for my collection. The only mention in Medlar for San Saba, Texas is a P.D. Turner, who was a Blacksmith.

As it is a remainder, I can't place it with Turner, and it is definitely NOT a County Note, as it begins, "I promise to pay...." Also of interest to me is at left, "Receivable for POSTAGE" which after scouring through Medlar, I can NOT find any other vendor with this statement for Texas.

image[/L]image

John Rowe does have a $1 note that does appear to be from this same issuer, but he has to change the description on the SMU website, as it is listed as a municipal scrip, while it has to be private - who, we just don't, or won't know unless a signed note appears - or track down the records of E.W. Cave of the Texas Print House of Houston (imprint at lower left).
Jim Fitzgerald

Comments

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Nice Find.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    That is really cool! Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Redeemable in confederate dollars or for postage. Are there CSA postage stamps?
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." Henry David Thoreau
    twitter: @ActionCurrency
    web: www.actioncurrency.com
  • Options
    BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    I don't own a copy but have you tried:

Texas Confederate county notes & private scrip: A comprehensive listing of currency printed, issued and used by Texas counties, cities and private individuals during the period of the Civil War

by Hank Bieciuk, 1961.

It seems to be available for about $20.

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• Options
    BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: underbidder

Redeemable in confederate dollars or for postage. Are there CSA postage stamps?

YES, but be careful, there are a lot of facsimiles.

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• Options
    Yes, I have a copy of the "BC" book - copyright 1961.

Medlar is 1968.
    Jim Fitzgerald
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool, that looks nice and neat to
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am probably one of the very few, around here, that remembers Bob Medlar. He was a super nice guy.
  • Options
    golden, oh how wrong. I definitely remember Bob Medlar. (yep, I'm old enough). One of the really nice guys in the paper market hobby. I remember when he was working on his book although I was not a Texas note collector. A true gentleman and an avid Texas note person.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
    Very much cool, Fitz.

Now go find an issued example, so we can attribute it!!!