Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Currency
Options

Rare 1860's California Regiment Exchange note

There is a rare 1860's California Regiment Exchange note coming up in the upcoming Archives International auction on Feb 23rd. Link

Here is the description from Archives International:

California and Pennsylvania. 71st Pennsylvania (California Regiment) of General Burns Brigade. 25 cents, Issued Sutler scrip note signed by Charles Gallagher, Sutler, Keller OA-SF025, Black on light green underprint with red denomination counters, Native American "Progress" vignette of Indian watching ships on the shore on lower left and eagle on upper right, printed on white paper with blank back, Choice Fine condition with firm paper body, no edge faults or other issues, bright colors and sharp corners only enhance this lovely and rare note. Originally, the California Regiment was begun by Californians living in Washington, D.C. in May 1861, eventually it was taken over by the 71st Pennsylvania. Printed by A.Hoen Co., Lith, Baltimore. Rare and very attractive note that should command a superior bid.

Last record of any of these selling is from Stacks from May 26, 2005 auction. It was one in similar condition and went for $3000.

This posting is for a friend of mine, it's actually his note, not mine. Just trying to help generate some interest in it for him.

Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Talk about a neat note - combines early California with the Civil War and a sutler and payable in current funds of the United States with great vignettes and colour.

Hoping a member of the forum gets it.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    I agree.... it's one of the highlights of the auction. It made it onto the cover of this catalog too.

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • Options
    mfontesmfontes Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I've tried to collect California obsolete notes, but OMG they are all expensive. I would love to have this note, but I am sure it will sell for moon money.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unsold in the Archives Auction, Stack's sold a second example, closer in grade to this one at $1800.

This is a thin market with less than a dozen serious collectors and a couple of major collections have been sold in the past few years.

A great sutler note but this is how sensitive prices are in a thin market.

Here it is again.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Thanks Russell... you beat me too it to bumping this thread. I just saw earlier this morning that Lou listed the note on Ebay.