Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

general ? on value of 1929 national note

General question:

Lets say you had a 1929 small size national note that was the finest known, where there are currently only three known of the same bill, all in vg-f and fairly ratty.

your bill is unknown to the census, but clearly at least 2 grades finer XF+

The past auction records of the known notes realized about 1500+ few years back

Bill is from a NC town that no longer exists ?

thks

Comments

• Options
    I had the exact same situation happen a couple months ago, same number of notes, everything except town is still thriving. I plugged it into my inventory in track and price, which prices the note. It priced it quite a bit higher than I would think it would sell for. I think you have to know a little history about the other notes, like how closely they are held, if they ever turn over. If not it still might bring a premium!
  • Options
    Type 1 or Type 2?
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ty 1
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Montyhall

I think you have to know a little history about the other notes, like how closely they are held, if they ever turn over.

+1.

Nationals are still mostly a locally driven so very hard to generalize as one can do with type notes.

Also, I assume that you meant reported rather than "known" in the OP. My sense is that smalls have historically and continue to be under reported and it is very very possible that other high grade notes on the bank may exist (in the hands of significant players for that market) but have never been seen in an auction or someone who might report it to a census.

Just MHO.
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    I handle quite a few NC nationals as both a collector and dealer. If you would like to email me directly I can help you. My email is bciociola@stacksbowers.com.
    Brad Ciociola, Stack's Bowers Galleries

Buyer of quality US Type, Nationals, Obsolete and Confederate