Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Georgia obsolete discovery?

I'm reposting this image for a friend on another forum. This obsolete note is from the Manufacturers and Mechanics Bank of Columbus, Georgia. Not a tough bank as obsoletes go, but this is a $20. Smaller denominations are easily found in dealers stock and on ebay. And Heritage has sold a $100 from this bank (in better condition) in the $1,400 range. But not one $20 in sight.

Can anyone post any information about this note, in terms of rarity and value guestimate?

Intrigued by all things intaglio.

Comments

• Could not find in Haxby. I'm wondering if this is a spurious note or ??

Would help if you could post a sharper image.

Or if you could post:

1. what is printed between bank title and TWENTY DOLLARS, cannot make it out

2. the printing company

3. the signatures on the note

4. the date appearing on the note

Thanks
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    The date is 1855. If we can get a better image I'll post it here.

From the Whitman/Bowers Encyclopedia, Vol 6
  • image My new Bowers (vol 6) came today.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    It is listed in Haxby as GA-120-G22a but SENC (Surviving Example Not Confirmed). As the Bower's book and your note indicate, there are at least two confirmed examples.

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• gsalexgsalex Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    Does it seem odd that they would assign it a URS-7 (33 to 64 known examples) and yet the best note they could find as an illustration has some serious damage?
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole group from this bank photographed in the Bowers catalog may have been from a single collection and the editors didn't want to try to locate a better example. This happens in Haxby, too, where some beat up examples are photographed where there are multiple better ones available. It shouldn't and probably doesn't happen very often in either book.

What surprises me more is that it has gone from none known to 33-64 known. The later number could be high and I'd guess 15-25 known but I know Northern obsolete populations note better than Southern ones.
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.