Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Big News: STACK'S BOWERS GALLERIES ACQUIRES MANIFEST AUCTIONS

STACK'S BOWERS GALLERIES ACQUIRES MANIFEST AUCTIONS

SANTA ANA, CA. — Stack's Bowers Galleries is pleased to announce the purchase of the assets of Manifest Auctions. Brian Kendrella, president of Stack's Bowers Galleries, commented: "Under the leadership of Manning Garrett, Manifest Auctions has grown into one of the pre-eminent auction houses of rare paper money. The opportunity to acquire Manifest and bring Manning Garrett to the Stack's Bowers Galleries team aligns with our expansion plans, not only by increasing our offerings of rare notes for auction, but by adding one of the leading paper money authorities and numismatic entrepreneurs to our roster of unparalleled experts."

"The acquisition of Manifest Auctions by Stack's Bowers Galleries is a natural fit," said Manning Garrett founder and president of Manifest Auctions. "Our Winter Auction consignors will benefit from the greater collector base provided by Stack's Bowers Galleries, as well as convention exposure at the Whitman Coin & Collectibles Expo. Long term, I am excited to join the impressive Stack's Bowers team and help to build upon their legendary numismatic auction history."

All of the current numismatic and currency consignments to Manifest's Winter Auction will be offered in the Stack's Bowers Galleries March Baltimore Showcase Auction, scheduled for March 30 through April 1, 2016. Highlights include:

Piedmont, Alabama. $10 Red Seal. First NB. Charter #7464. Serial Number 2.
Fernandina, Florida. $5 1882 Brown Back. First NB. Charter #4558. Serial Number 1.
Lebanon, Kentucky. $5 1882 Brown Back. Farmers NB of Lebanon. Charter #4271. Serial Number 1.
Marshall, Missouri. $5 1882 Brown Back. First NB. Charter #2884. Serial Number 2.
West Minneapolis, Minnesota. $10-$10-$10-$20 1902 PB. Security NB of West Minneapolis. Charter #12518. Uncut Sheet. Serial Number 1.
Fr. 2231-B. 1934 $10,000 Federal Reserve Note. New York. PCGS 64 Apparent.
Ex. Binion Hoard.

Comments

• CONGRATS Manning and Stacks!

• Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Congrats to Manning.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome! Congratulations Manning!!!
  • Congrats to all! image

Wonder if my login/password to Manifest Auctions will still work. Must try it.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah,progress.I congratulate all involved in what seems to me to be a great acquisition.Manning is an asset few can top..................oh yeah,and the auction company too.
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a win for Stack's not so much for collectors. I congratulate Manning though.
  • BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Constantine

Sounds like a win for Stack's not so much for collectors. I congratulate Manning though.

Pretty soon we will be left with a handful of mega-auction houses: eBay, Heritage, Stacks, and Spink. Wonder how long it will take to absorb Knight?

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Sadly I believe Michael is 100% on point. One less option for a buyer and seller of currency is rarely good. Happy that Manning's venture paid off for him.

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    Does this mean the market is softening or shrinking?
  • SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Berny............I'm pretty sure Spink hasn't been considered a mega auction house (at least in terms of paper money) since roughly 1666.
    To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • Originally posted by: Slasher
    Berny............I'm pretty sure Spink hasn't been considered a mega auction house (at least in terms of paper money) since roughly 1666.

Damn Slasher, did they even HAVE paper money in 1666?
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
  • 2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    did they even HAVE paper money in 1666?

Yes.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Is there any connection between Manifest Auctions and Live Auctioneers?

I sort of have notes suggesting that these are run by some forum members. Are they two different auction sites? I forget exactly.

• ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    I think Live Auctioneers was a technical platform for Manifest. So basically the online framework etc. but Live Auctioneers is it's own company and still up and going.
  • Originally posted by: 2ndCharter
    did they even HAVE paper money in 1666?

Yes.

Amazing Slasher ~ I didn't even see your lips move!
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
  • Congrats to Manning. I worked with him before and was pleased with the result.

Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Constantine

I think Live Auctioneers was a technical platform for Manifest. So basically the online framework etc. but Live Auctioneers is it's own company and still up and going.

Yes this is accurate.

Congratulations Manning! I enjoyed sending you the few consignments I had that were right for your auctions and was also pleased with the service and results!

• SlasherSlasher Posts: 33 ✭✭✭
    Virginia collector.........was that an early MASH reference??
    To be the man, you've gotta beat the man!!!
  • BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Slasher

Yes, although they absorbed Smythe (and others), their currency auctions are not in the league of the others mentioned. However, I have obtained some nice unique notes from them. They were also associated with the 1990's ABNCo archive sale of proofs with their old Christies connection.

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭
    Another dumb question... Which forum member is Manning?

Originally posted by: element159

Another dumb question... Which forum member is Manning?

I believe he goes by EastCoastCurrency
    Originally posted by: Hydrant

Stack's Bowers is on the move again! Teletrade and now Manifest. It's all for the best I'm sure. Now.....if I could just get their website to function......oh well.

It is certainly not my favorite platform but their recent improvements have been good and have increased my participation...

• Thanks guys. This is a really exciting move for us (Manifest). We feel like we always did a good job getting fresh banknote discoveries in front of the most interested collectors. However, our new partnership with Stacks guarantees without a doubt that all serious collectors will have a chance to bid on the great notes we hope to continue to find and offer.

Thanks - Manning