Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Can you explain the bids or the bidding?

ebay link

here are some screenshots too

Comments

• Well they are back on sale again from the same seller. Instead of putting in a reserve, he had his brother Luigi dump a bunch of shill bids on the lots. Looks like nobody bit the fish hook.
    National Bank Note Collector
    nobody gets it: "Cash Is King ! "
  • Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Need to be reported!

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    The single bidder only has a 3% bidding history with the seller. Thus shilling is not obvious.

The lot could have had a reserve on it and the buyer bid until he met the reserve. The fact that the lot had a reserve then disappears.

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• image guy has too many other bids; wonder why item did not indicate a Reserve?

===

bid link
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• This is amazing. Look at the seller's other items and check the sold items. He has many high dollar jewelry items all sold to the same buyer o***a. Now look at the buyer's history. Only 3% with this seller which looks good but he has 1.8 million bids!!! He must be making thousands of low bids on items he never intends to win, just to hide the fact that he is a shill bidder for this seller. I am in shock.
    Small size type collector and fancy serial numbers
  • BernyBerny Posts: 132 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: gconover

This is amazing. Look at the seller's other items and check the sold items. He has many high dollar jewelry items all sold to the same buyer o***a. Now look at the buyer's history. Only 3% with this seller which looks good but he has 1.8 million bids!!! He must be making thousands of low bids on items he never intends to win, just to hide the fact that he is a shill bidder for this seller. I am in shock.
    I totally missed the extremely large number of bids. He won over 20,000 items. This seems hard to believe because as a shill bidder, he does not want to win the items. Otherwise he would have to pay all the eBay fees.

A closer look shows that all of these 20,000+ lots were sold at several different LIVE auctions. I suspect that o***a refers to the "floor bidders" in general.

Notice that all the bids on every item occurred within a few seconds of each other, a typical speed for LIVE auctions.

I think that this might be legit;however, why do an eBay LIVE auction if essentially all items go to the floor?

His feedback is very bad!

Bernie
    Always looking for material from the Niagara river region.

• KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Any chance of the seller having a buyer and seller account on eBay. In actuality he/she would become bidding on their own notes?

• Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • This one is a strange one, but I agree with Berny, It looks like a generic user name for a floor bidder. In my mind, that's the only thing that explains the high bid count and high auction count. I don't think an individual person can hit that many auctions like that.

Ebay auctions that are tied to a live event are tough to follow on Ebay. I think Ebay is trying to compete with some of the live auction houses by bringing in their Ebay user base to the table. But their software leaves alot to be desired at the moment. If you find a live auction on Ebay, you're better off going to the seller's own site or contacting the seller and being a phone bidder. I've heard alot of horror stories about the Ebay Live bidding events. They still have a lot of bugs to work out.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • OK, it's definite, Berny hit the nail on the head..... This is a live auction that I won - Link And it shows the same O**A username as the winning bidder. I bid live on the auction through another service. It wouldn't show my Ebay user ID since I didn't bid through Ebay.

There's also no feedback rating on this user name which makes sense if it's just a generic place holder for a floor bid or other bid not from Ebay's website.
    Come and see a forgotten piece of history.....

http://www.depressionscrip.com

Always looking for more depression scrip -- PM me if you have any for sale or trade
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice way to convince punters that crap is worth a premium, LOL

I'll bet he is a fisherman ... and not very good at it