Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1955 Clemente RC -PSA-8 Off the chart…...

New high for the Clemente RC in PSA-8

Goldin Auction- $58,560

Are you kidding…..Madness
Is this a vintage bubble or will other HOF RC's continue to climb???

55 Clemente -Goldin Auction

Comments

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gorgeous card, and all it takes is two who want it and have the resources to get a result like that. The SGC 4 311 Mantle went for 54.9k in that auction as well, which was another case of a beautiful, desirable card going big. Personally, I don't see it as "madness," or a "bubble," but rather simply when great looking baseball card icons hit the open market, collectors will compete hard to own them. Further examples abound, from Ryans to Aarons to almost all Mantle's basic issues-- and in every sales venue and platform these desirable pieces surface. There are collectors in their late 20s and early to mid 30s who are now entering good-- though not peak-- earning years, and these collectors are now competing with all the guys in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond, as well. Lots of buyers and not so many truly great cards to go around.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Matt. We talked about this card at great length. I was in on it very strong but eventually stopped bidding. Nice card!

Jeff
    Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DM23HOF
    Gorgeous card, and all it takes is two who want it and have the resources to get a result like that. The SGC 4 311 Mantle went for 54.9k in that auction as well, which was another case of a beautiful, desirable card going big. Personally, I don't see it as "madness," or a "bubble," but rather simply when great looking baseball card icons hit the open market, collectors will compete hard to own them. Further examples abound, from Ryans to Aarons to almost all Mantle's basic issues-- and in every sales venue and platform these desirable pieces surface. There are collectors in their late 20s and early to mid 30s who are now entering good-- though not peak-- earning years, and these collectors are now competing with all the guys in their 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond, as well. Lots of buyers and not so many truly great cards to go around.

Agree on the SGC 4 Mantle - that was a beautiful card and time and again the market has shown us just like you stated - when strong desirable cards come available prices increase. The Aaron rookie is doing the same thing this week - great news if you have one.
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of whales have entered the market over the last few years. Celebrities, businessmen, athletes, etc that have endless resources to chase these cards. Guys in their 40's and 50's that grew up with this stuff that have decided to go all in and invest in this stuff to add diversity to their "portfolios". It's made it nearly impossible for guys like me to be able to chase this stuff, but it's a great thing for the market and for those that got into these high end iconic cards earlier...before this bubble. It's great for the hobby in general but hurts the little to middle guys that simply can't compete dollar for dollar. It seems every week there's a card sold like this Clemente that sets the bar higher. I owned a PSA 8 Clemente a year ago and probably got 25-30K for it cash and trade and a year later it's doubled...nuts
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Todd, it's hard to break news like this to a friend...but you have an extremely serious collection image

Don't let the whales get ya down! Would you really be so much happier if your lowly, lowly Clemente was an 8 LOL?!

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DM23HOF
    Gorgeous card, and all it takes is one who wants it, another who knows his top bid, and have the resources to get a result like that.

Fixed it for ya image
  • Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    Well centered and sharp for sure. The color misregistration bothers me a bit. You can see the offset of color on the right side of face and left border. just my opinion
    Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I bought that card I would feel inclined to try to hire Sir James Dyson to read Goldins' description of it everytime I showed it to someone.

That would sound so good in a British accent!
    DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when a board member who is no longer with us bought an 8 for $6,500 and he paid 20% above VCP and people were giving him a hard time. Amazing that in less then five years many of these cards have moved up 500% and in some cases even much more.

Looking at the scans that is a very nice card and I am guessing one of the corners is a little worse then a scan can pick up and the snow in the green is what kept the grader from awarding it a higher grade.