Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Redfield Morgan

I have a Redfield Morgan in a slab with a crack in it. I know PCGS will encapsulate these and keep the provenance. Do I ship it to them and let them remove it? I'd think so but I want to be certain.

Thanks
If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Comments

• Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DO NOT REMOVE THE COIN from the Redfield If you want the Redfield designation. And you will only get it if the "crack" is really just a crack and the coin cannot be removed due to the crack.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks AMRC.

The coin is not removable but there's a nice "spider crack" right on the obverse under the coin. I'll include it as a second invoice (Regular Submission) and let them handle hammering the corners.

Thanks again.
    If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC will band label a Morgan in a Paramount Redfield holder, the same way that they band label the GSA Dollars in the hard plastic lens. I don't believe that PCGS will encapsulate a Paramount Redfield Hoard holder in the over-sized slab as they did briefly for GSA Dollars. PCGS will only remove a Morgan from a Paramount holder for grading if they are certain it will grade, and then the coin will go in to a regular PCGS holder with the Redfield Hoard designation.

According to the information provided on the Frequently Asked Questions page, it appears that PCGS has stopped the practice of encapsulating GSA holdered Dollars in the over-size slabs.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file