Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

17 days later it's finally here...

Purchased out of Germany it took it's sweet ole time to get here.

Circa 1705-11 Augsburg City, Bavaria, Silver Children’s Medal, 28mm Diameter, struck by Philipp Heinrich Müller, Forster-4296.

The obverse shows the biblical story of the journey taken by Tobias and his dog who are accompanied by the Archangel Raphael. The script on the reverse translated states “listen to your parents and through angles you'll receive God”. Pictorial wise a dog running in front of a angel (with just one pant leg) walking hand in hand with a boy with a fish under his arm was hard to resist.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!

Comments

• Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    You can never go wrong with a medal with dog on it, very attractive.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, and a weiner dog at that!

Great toning, too.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Posted my own Muller medal, back on 8/12/12. Trojan Horse motif. Muller's designs appear to be quite expressive. Still "awaiting" my own German order back from 11/11. At this point, the vendor put his postal service on notice, so now I guess I am waiting for a refund.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: JCMhouston

You can never go wrong with a medal with dog on it, very attractive.

Thanks JCMhouston, I really like the fish as it has a wing for a fin and that long tail image

• Options
    Originally posted by: lordmarcovan

Wow, and a weiner dog at that!

Great toning, too.

Thanks lordmarcovan, I photographed the obverse at a slight tilt to get the color to pop.

Below is what it looks like shot directly flat.

• Options
    Originally posted by: harasha

Posted my own Muller medal, back on 8/12/12. Trojan Horse motif. Muller's designs appear to be quite expressive. Still "awaiting" my own German order back from 11/11. At this point, the vendor put his postal service on notice, so now I guess I am waiting for a refund.

harasha, I'll have to go find the thread as I'd like to see your Muller medal. Yes expressive is a good term as my favorite is a reverse design he cut of a caveman clubbing a multi-headed dragon. Unfortunately I've never seen an example with surface conditions I'd actually want to own. All I see is dipped out cleaned scrubbed and heavily hair lined specimens which still command nearly or over 4 figures.

I wouldn't give up hope on your newp out of Germany until the 30 day mark. Buying internationally requires patience, as I've had one lost for nearly 50 days and it still arrived. I'm right now awaiting 2 more and glancing at another 2 I'll likely purchase.

• Options
    I am a bit wary of appearing to hijack another's thread, but you do not have to look:

imageimage

DPOTD
  • Options

I am a bit wary of appearing to hijack another's thread, but you do not have to look:

I wouldn't have considered it as hijacking my tread until I saw the Trojan Horse image

imageimage

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Broadstruck

I wouldn't have considered it as hijacking my tread until I saw the Trojan Horse image

imageimage

Do they spell humour this way on the light side?image
    Paul
  • Options
    I have read too much British literature to be uncomfortable with British spelling. In fact, sometimes I feel more comfortable with the British spelling. Noah Webster come strike me down!

DPOTD
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've waited as long as 2+ months for auction winnings from Europe, even

with tracking numbers and complaints to the different delivery companies.

17 days, must have been sent by Concord SST.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool piece!