Home U.S. Coin Forum

Sometimes you get coins back from PCGS and just have to go HMMMM

MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
This order came back last week. I was going through the box and found this stuck to the bottom of the slab on one of the coins. Guess the graders were on the fence about this one.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

Comments

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A grading room error........ sort of like finding a mint error.

• LoveMyLibertyLoveMyLiberty Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭
    It's the new program where you get to pick the grade.

My Type Set

R.I.P. Bear image
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are going to want that back.

Collector, occasional seller

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weird. image

I'd rather not know that.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hilarious. The mess up, I mean.

I wouldn't have guessed a cert would be generated before the finalizer had his say. Or maybe it wasn't the finalizer. Probably the guy in shipping.

Lance.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fortunate the other three labels didn't find their way into the box, too.
  • ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty funny...when it's not my coin.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I have had slabs come in unsealed from both sides of the fence, this is the first time I have ever received and extra cert!! Well I guess I can always return it for 50 cents (do they still give 50 cents a cert and more)? Bummer is a nice price difference between a 66+ and a 67.

• rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes... it was clearly a "mechanical error" they caught before the coin left in an improperly labeled MS67 slab. image
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Missed it by THAT much!!!!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    LOL.

The finalizer took back 75% of the market value. Are the unwashed masses allowed to hit home runs?
  • georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭
    That's what happens if you play golf with HRH and fail to let him win.

Originally posted by: georgiacop50
    That's what happens if you play golf with HRH and fail to let him win.

I think this was payback for those Mad Marty weenie coins we talked HRH into!! image

• CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Wow...

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• youniqueyounique Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Send both back. Drum roll...................Maybe 67+ & 68
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, that is awesome! Put it up on ebay and let it run!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭
    That's a first, at least the first I've seen. Pretty funny. I assume they never intended for that sticker to leave the PCGS headquarters.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
    Originally posted by: Baley
    Dude, that is awesome! Put it up on ebay and let it run!

I was thinking about it, but I don't want HRH showing up here with a baseball bat!!! I'll wait for our hosts to chime in.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's something I haven't seen before. image
    "If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
    Send it to CAC. See if it will get a gold bean partially overlapping the MS-67 insert to hold it in place on the slab..........
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beware of the man with the red pen.
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    they are baiting you to resubmit
  • TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    But for a brief moment in time, it was a 67

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm... So does the finalizer look at the coins after they are initially graded & slabbed?
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: CaptHenway
    Send it to CAC. See if it will get a gold bean partially overlapping the MS-67 insert to hold it in place on the slab..........

Or see if they would partially cover up the gold bean with a green bean! image
    "May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • NicNic Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is sweet!

Finalizer who is the most important.

HRH is now even. image
  • DCAMDCAM Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    Just "bust up" the holder and send it in with the 67 cert and ask for a reholder.

Buy More Coins!!
  • GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's great to have the Mad One back and posting on the coin forum.....this is a story only Marty could put forth. image

• TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DCAM
    Just "bust up" the holder and send it in with the 67 cert and ask for a reholder.

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess, is the finalizer backed it down a tad
    Originally posted by: jdimmick

My guess, is the finalizer backed it down a tad

He whumped it with the tad pole, you mean!
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    So, two graders said MS67 and finalizer over-ruled them ?

an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the first time that I have seen two different grades for the same certifcation number...PCGS Certification Verification says...MS66+
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's their way of telling you it's going to be a 67 some day - they just want a piece of the action. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    strange

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1Mike1

Originally posted by: CaptHenway

Or see if they would partially cover up the gold bean with a green bean! image

Actually, you want a green bean (for the original 67) partially covered up by the gold (for the 66+)

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is the funniest thing I have seen in a while!
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jcping

I don't think the finalizer is involved when the other two graders agree.

Lance.
  • jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Lance.

I knew the published rules but in this case, it seems odd. Do you think one grader said MS67 and the other said MS66+ and before this coin went to finalizer and an MS67 label is ready? The only explanation that I can think of is the finalizer (or someone else) over-ruled the graders' decision/opinion.
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    would be interesting for an explanation of exactly what the difference is in a 66+ and a 67. being that grading is an opinion, I doubt there is measurable difference ... other than in the price guide
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: lkeigwin

Lance.

I knew the published rules but in this case, it seems odd. Do you think one grader said MS67 and the other said MS66+ and before this coin went to finalizer and an MS67 label is ready? The only explanation that I can think of is the finalizer (or someone else) over-ruled the graders' decision/opinion.

Bingo.... But some one forgot to pull the other tag off before shipping. image

Hoard the keys.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marty---Didn't you have an unsealed PCGS slab at one time? Now you can put it to good use.image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Originally posted by: PerryHall
    Marty---Didn't you have an unsealed PCGS slab at one time? Now you can put it to good use.image

Wouldn't do that!!! But it may make for an interesting auction on E-Bay...

• ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's wild, this kind of thing only seems to happen to you, Marty!
  • ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    this is one that I received back, none of the plastic in the blue box, just a slab with chunks missing from it. looks like the quality control dept could use a little help **

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

On certain types of submissions, there's only one grader, and the finalizer looks at the pop tops. Modern bulk is one example.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    absent any other explanation and just seeing the picture I would think this --- the top label is the from the initial regrade submission and the bottom encapsulated coin is what the regarded coin looks like.
    Originally posted by: keets
    absent any other explanation and just seeing the picture I would think this --- the top label is the from the initial regrade submission and the bottom encapsulated coin is what the regarded coin looks like.

It wasn't a regrade. It was a regular raw economy submission.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a sobering example that a coin's grade is only an opinion.Call the 1954 Quarter "Superb Gem Uncirculated" and one is not put in the position of nit picking about the number.

TPG grader who looks at the top pop numbers before finalizing the number grade on a coin like this (not a scarce or rare coin by any measure) makes sense to me.

I'm thinking a TPG mechanical error collector would love to have this specimen with its two labels for his/her collection.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file