Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Big Autograph Lot Purchase - 1950's Baseball

I just bought large album/cut signature lot of 500+ 1951-1953 season autographs. The seller had cut out or removed all well known and expensive hall of famers (Rogers Hornsby, Jackie Robinson, etc.) but it didn't really look like he looked through all of the signatures for the tough/obscure autographs of value. I just sold around 95% of this collection within days to recoup some money but I kept a good bit of the tough ones.

So, while most were cut in odd shapes, I did my very best at an attempt to make some cut signature cards. So, here are my attempts:

So, the Dan Bankhead signature is terrible and was cut down to "Dan Ban" - but hey, it is a tough signature and I decided to make something out of it. I'm obviously terrible at cutting these, but this was better than just having the cuts in 9 pocket pages in albums.

The Benny Bengough is my favorite...

[IMG]http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww23/airjoedan1/Bengough_zpsrofgv1ok.jpg[/IMG

Some of these are really tough. A Hank Thompson cut is a $150-$200 autograph and some of the guys like Zoldak, Drews, Bevan, and Bickford are all $75-$100'ish autographs.

Anyways, I have 30 or so more I guess but these were some of the toughest. I'm going to attempt to sell one of the Zoldak, Bevan, Drews, and Muir autographs, as well as the Paige and Pollet autographs as they are all extras.

Just wanted to share as I love older autograph purchases like these!

Comments

• Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    definitely some tough autographs there...Being a collector of Orioles autographs, I immediately recognized the Fox & Bickford...

Well done!

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Some really tough names! Now if they were on 1952 topps, we'd have to have a duel!

I love what you've done with the custom cuts, especially the Billy Meyer
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the kind words. It is tough to figure out what to do with autograph cuts. I would prefer to have complete albums intact!
  • Options
    Here were some bigger autograph cuts from the same collection that I tried to make tallboy/Game Day sized cards with...

I think I'm getting tired of the "D" shaped photo design. I was originally using circles and then other random shapes but started the D shape awhile back and liked it. There really aren't many shapes to choose from in Publisher though. I don't have a real photoshop program to use..
  • Options
    I still like the Bengough one a lot. ...and I still suck at cutting the holes in he middle of the card.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great stuff!!

the Bengough is a really nice card, you are right. burgess is cool as well

well done
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Nice stuff!

Window cutting can be rough.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page