Home U.S. Coin Forum

How rare are pre PCGS David Hall sealed and graded plastic flips?

I have only seen a few of these in my ten years of being in coins. This one is a 1938-D Buffalo Nickel graded GEM UNC. Mint State 65. How rare are these and how much are they worth? How high is the interest in these holders for those who are holder collectors?

front

cert tag

reverse

-end-
I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JMHO, they are rare enough to be interesting when you find one but common enough not to be worth much of a premium over the raw coin inside. I believe their real "value" is historical since they are a precursor of what was to come, an early glimpse into the inner workings of HRH's mind.
  • fivecentsfivecents Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grading standards were tighter back then. Could be some low hanging fruit.
  • TomthecoinguyTomthecoinguy Posts: 849 ✭✭✭✭
    Seems this would be a must have for any slab collector.
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the premium, but they do show up.

Here's a sequential pair I got this week...

imageimage
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that they're cool.

I would pay a little extra for one but not too much.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They look vinyl. Do any of the coins show PVC residue?
    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are certainly worth a premium over the coin inside. Just not a huge premium. They are not super common... but not super rare either. And the Buffalo Nickel is one of the types that you can find in these without a ton of trouble. The nickel itself is worth maybe $35 or so. If I had that flip and was selling retail, I know it would be easy to sell for $50+ and could probably get $75 or better if the right buyer came along.
  • machoponchomachoponcho Posts: 355 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses so far. My Buffalo Nickel shows no signs of PVC. It would probably come back MS66, but definitely not MS67. The price difference between MS65 and MS66 is so small in in this case, it isn't even close to worth cracking out(er. . . slicing out). I like to keep the coins preserved anyway, as this holder is an important part of numismatic history. I like original stuff like this. I'm sitting on an original 1958 Double Mint Set with good, but not great toning. Some 66s in there, but I don't dare break it up.
    I have existed since the creation of this world and will exist until its end. Only my form will change. For these 80 human life years, I have the benefit of having a functioning body and consciousness. I will not waste this opportunity.
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite a bit of them have popped up over the past 6 months...they may be from someones old collection that was liquidated.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: sellitstore
    They look vinyl. Do any of the coins show PVC residue?

The coins are encapsulated and then put into the vinyl flip.

• CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: oih82w8
    Quite a bit of them have popped up over the past 6 months...they may be from someones old collection that was liquidated.

I have seen an uptick as well.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find these to be interesting bits of history, here are a couple of mine. I believe the one with the yellow insert is an earlier version.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Originally posted by: machoponcho

I have only seen a few of these in my ten years of being in coins. This one is a 1938-D Buffalo Nickel graded GEM UNC. Mint State 65. How rare are these and how much are they worth? How high is the interest in these holders for those who are holder collectors?

I own eleven of them myself, all common coins, but every one graded MS-65. About seven or eight years ago, a small hoard of 24 showed up in a local auction and I placed what should have been a STRONG bid... and got blown out of the water.
    James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: fivecents

Grading standards were tighter back then. Could be some low hanging fruit.

Hard to say when things were tighter and when they were looser. I tried to sell an MS-65 Morgan dollar in one of these flips to Mr. Hall at the Central States show in the south suburbs of Kansas City back in 1989 and he told me that those grades were not effective any more.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file