Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gixen eBay sniper now working on Windows 10

I've used Auction sniper for years to do my eBay auction sniping and it worked great. You get 3 free snipes when you join and after that the fees are reasonable - especially considering all of the money you save by sniping.

I also used Gixen.com which is free if you use the ad version. But I've had some snipes that didn't fire and I lost out on a couple of great deals. image So on important coins I use Auction Sniper since it never let me down.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, the Gixen manager wouldn't run so I quit using it.

Today I looked and Gixen no longer requires a download. You just log in on their web page with your eBay ID and password and enter your snipes in your browser. So now I can use it with Windows 10 image

So if you had trouble running Gixen on Windows 10 - it works now.

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fact it's free, doesn’t mean it's now dependable, does it?
  • Options
    FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had any issues with Gixen...yet.

I hope today isn't the first because I have it bidding pretty regularly this weekend.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even though I am tech savvy; I am still old-fashioned, as I KNOW that technology can FAIL.

I like to leave the important things up to ME, so I do it manually.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LindeDad
    Fact it's free, doesn’t mean it's now dependable, does it?

No that's why I use Auction Sniper on coins that I really want

If you subscribe for $6 a year Gixen has a mirror server that you get to use and there are no ads.

But with the snipe form on their web page now, they separated it from the OS.
    Their desktop manager application didn't work on Windows 10

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I paid $6 for Gixen and I used window 10. It works for me.
  • Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TopographicOceansWhen I upgraded to Windows 10, the Gixen manager wouldn't run so I quit using it. Today I looked and Gixen no longer requires a download. You just log in on their web page with your eBay ID and password and enter your snipes in your browser. So now I can use it with Windows 10 image So if you had trouble running Gixen on Windows 10 - it works now.

I've used Gixen for a handful of years. You have never needed to download their Manager if you didn't want to. I never have. I've always just gone to their website to input bids.

BTW, Gixen has never missed placing a bid for me.

I collect history in the form of coins.
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    I've never used a sniper utility. I would probably buy too much if I did. Plus, according to Ebay, no Ebay Bucks are earned when using sniping utilities. I like manual sniping and still getting 2% Ebay Bucks.
    I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    CuKevinCuKevin Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2
    I've never used a sniper utility. I would probably buy too much if I did. Plus, according to Ebay, no Ebay Bucks are earned when using sniping utilities. I like manual sniping and still getting 2% Ebay Bucks.

Where does eBay say that? Because it's definitely not true. I snipe on EVERYTHING and always get my eBay bucks.
    Choice Numismatics www.ChoiceCoin.com

CN eBay

All of my collection is in a safe deposit box!
  • Options
    TigersFan2TigersFan2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭
    Originally posted by: CuKevin
    Where does eBay say that? Because it's definitely not true. I snipe on EVERYTHING and always get my eBay bucks.

I guess I read the FAQ too restrictively and was wrong. In the Ebay Bucks FAQ, Ebay Bucks aren't earned if the sniping tool makes the bid from an international IP.

Some third-party automated bidding applications (sniping tools) are actually placing their bids on international sites as opposed to bidding on the US site directly. Purchases completed by these applications do not qualify to earn eBay Bucks.

I love the 3 P's: PB&J, PBR and PCGS.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed some things with AuctionSniper and never looked back. No hiccups with Gixen - the $6 is cheap insurance.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    especially considering all of the money you save by sniping.

Actually you still don't save anything, you've still got to beat the max bid I put in earlier don't you?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JCMhouston
    especially considering all of the money you save by sniping.

Actually you still don't save anything, you've still got to beat the max bid I put in earlier don't you?

True, but by bidding in the last few seconds, it prevents the competition from hacking away at your bid.

If you bid $50 and then I bid $100, you can come back and bump up the bid until you reach my max bid.

I would rather let you be the high bidder @$50 up until the last few seconds and then my snipe would win it at $51.Z

I wasn't aware they had web page access. I downloaded their desktop app and when I went to Windows 10, it would give a Winsock error 10060.

• Options
    PhilGPhilG Posts: 237 ✭✭
    Gixen desktop manager works with windows 10. Download the desktop manager. Create a desktop shortcut of the manager and select properties. Under compatibly tab check run this program in compatibly mode for windows XP service pack 3. Also select run as administrator.
    Phil
  • Options
    Originally posted by: PhilG
    Gixen desktop manager works with windows 10. Download the desktop manager. Create a desktop shortcut of the manager and select properties. Under compatibly tab check run this program in compatibly mode for windows XP service pack 3. Also select run as administrator.
    Phil
    Thanks Phil. That did the trick.image

Now that it's working and I can also manage snipes from their web page, I'm going to send him the $6 registration fee. image

• Options
    determineddetermined Posts: 771 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: TigersFan2

I've never used a sniper utility. ... Plus, according to Ebay, no Ebay Bucks are earned when using sniping utilities.

I don't think that is correct. I use Gixen to place all of my bids. Every single one. And I get eBay Bucks.

I collect history in the form of coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file