Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Beckett 8 to PSA Altered Stock 93 Finest Promo Refractor

Hi, I'm looking for help from experienced hobbyists. I bought a Beckett 8 Don Mattingly 1993 Finest Promo Refractor and cracked it out and sent to PSA. It came back Altered stock 3x. My friend has one that also got sent back as altered stock (bought from a different seller). I have a few questions I'm hoping can be answered:1) Was it a mistake to crack it out before I sent it to PSA? 2) Does "altered stock" suggest it is counterfeit? 3) If so, Is there a way to tell if it is counterfeit? Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it's always a gamble to crack out a card from another company's Slab and sub to PSA. Altered stock doesn't mean the card is counterfeit, it means the card is legitimate and doctored somehow.
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it was cleaned with something that affected the surface of the card.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I would just keep resubbing. There is zero consistency with alterstock. Try mixing it into group subs ect. My guess is it will eventually get slabbed unless there is something very obvious
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's the regular version someone doctored up to look like a refractor? I dont know these promos well, but the regular versions 1/5000 are cheap and plentiful, whereas the refractor versions are highly coveted. I've never been able to distinguish from scans the difference
  • Options
    OP said it came back altered 3x. Must be something obvious.
  • Options
    There are blackish dots you can see in the scan. I wonder if they indicate anything? I thought it was legitimate being slabbed by beckett. I did not know much about grading when I bought the card other than my friend recommended PSA since he was a member. I hadn't collected cards for years at he time but Beckett was a familiar name so I trusted the slab. Since then, I've learned more but still thought Beckett was respectable.

If I cant get PSA to grade this one and somehow I Find another, I'd like to avoid wasting money again. I wish PSA provided more details on why it is "altered stock" in their opinion.

Thanks for the responses so far. Looking forward to more opinions.
  • Options
    Just as an update, I bought another Beckett Graded Promo Refractor and sent to PSA as a cross over. Same result. So now I have two Promo refractors that PSA wont grade. I guess I'll never know what the problem is.