Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Where are these reprints coming from?

Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I see these reprints all the time now on eBay. Who's making them? They even say T.C.G. on the back - wouldn't Topps be after them for copyright infringements?

Here's an example:

Reprint

Thanks for any info -

"Molon Labe"

Comments

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Copyright laws are very confusing but I know a guy who makes facsimile jackets for books and says he can do so under the 1909 copyright law that states that a copyright is good for 28 years and can be renewed only once. He has sold about 100,000 jackets and has only had one person (from the J. D. Salinger estate) complain. I do not believe he makes any jackets for books after 1978 because, as he puts it, copyright laws changed then.

Here may be where a lot of them are coming from. Lots of Etsy sellers make them.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/juli...&ref=sr_gallery_11

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Vint...e&ref=sr_gallery_1

https://www.etsy.com/search?q=1952%20mantle
  • Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    See them all the time on eBay.

eBay reprints

I am almost tempted to buy a couple to see them up close. I am curious just how similar they actually are to the real deal. The ones that stand to make a lot of money with all these reprints are grading companies. When these become widespread there will be so much fear to buy anything raw that it will almost force everyone to get their cards graded just so they can sell them.
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 49ersGuy

See them all the time on eBay.

eBay reprints

When these become widespread

They have been for decades.
  • Options
    I recall a time when my family and I first moved into our new home and one day we were casually enjoying a refreshing day by the pool, when I noticed what seemed to be a dark cloud approaching from the south towards our property. It was an otherwise bright, sunny day, but this cloud kept getting darker and larger as it got closer. We felt penetrating gusts of wind accompanying the cloud as it moved into the yard. Most dark clouds don't typically hover just a few feet from the ground. That's because the cloud was......locusts.

The only time I'd ever seen a locust swarm first hand. Thousands of them. Everywhere. Dive bombing the pool, slamming into trees, we were engulfed by insects. Incredible experience, other than my poor wife freaking out that the garden was about to be fully consumed.

Now, what about these reprints, again?
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Reprints are the 11th plague?

"Molon Labe"

• Options
    Well, quite possibly. If I see fireballs descending on us, followed by darkness and famine, I'll send you a PM to keep you up to date.
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    The local shop owner, who hates PSA, bought two cards in PSA holders: Unitas and Seaver Rookies. He paid $2,500 for them and immediately flipped them for $3,000. Since he was unfamiliar with PSA holders, he didn't notice that both had been cracked on the upper left side and the original cards were replaced with these fake cards. He thought he could blindly trust any card encapsulated in a PSA holder. Once the new buyer tried to add them to the Registry, he realized they were fake.
    WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Ouch. The scans look really good on these reprints, I can see lots of fraud potential.

"Molon Labe"