Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

Is the forum Software Broken?? Was Photobucket.

Anyone else have problems with some of the pictures/images not showing?
imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014

Comments

• Yep, but that's because Photobucket is "down for maintenance". If not using Photobucket then I have less than zero information.
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 05232016 - any series or block. Please PM
    Looking for CU $1 FRN 20160523 - any series or block. Please PM

Retired

• synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭
    Small peeve - the line Return is missing and formatting is heck now, but that is a general comment, not the coloring issues

ed - all OK using Google Chrome
  • Photobucket is down
  • oklahomadannyoklahomadanny Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    This software is totally screwed up. image It quit "highlighting" (changing color) of posts after they were read so I'm totally lost as to where the hell I'm at.

Maybe if I had read the 1st post I would have seen that others had ID'd the problem as a Photobucket maintenance problem. What's strange is that SOME of the Photobucket images ARE rendering correctly. Go figure.

If this software is indicative of the work FuseTalk Inc. does they're going to go bankrupt.
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • Originally posted by: oklahomadanny

This software is totally screwed up. It quit "highlighting" (changing color) of posts after they were read so I'm totally lost as to where the hell I'm at.

Maybe if I had read the 1st post I would have seen that others had ID'd the problem as a Photobucket maintenance problem. What's strange is that SOME of the Photobucket images ARE rendering correctly. Go figure. image

Hmmm, guess I'm one out of two with the software right now:

1. my forum threads are showing different color(dark blue) when I've read it, then back to a lighter color(light / baby blue) after a post.

2. NONE of the photos from any post are showing for me right now.

Third issue for me -- Private Messages: sometimes I receive a PM notice in the forum column at the left AND an email; but most of the time I only receive the email; then -- go figure -- there are a FEW times when I get both!! Oh well.

Retired

• Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Hey Danny,

I think you use FireFox as I do. I installed a FireFox addon called Visited. Solves all my problems and easy to see what I have visited because they are orange!

You can give it a try and if you do not like it, simply uninstall.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
    Originally posted by: Jim61

Hey Danny,

I think you use FireFox as I do. I installed a FireFox addon called Visited. Solves all my problems and easy to see what I have visited because they are orange!

You can give it a try and if you do not like it, simply uninstall.

Yup, use Firefox (Jim, no upper case on the 2nd F). Started using it years ago when you could create tabs in separate pages/windows. I have 8 windows with a total of ~165 tabs. Have a page for eBay.uk that has tabs for searching for British style MPC/AMC. A small (4-5 tabs) page on WWII JIM info. A page for my banking and related web sites. When I re-open Firefox my settings will open only one tab on each page, not all 165 tabs (that would crash my older WinXP). I only have the max 4 GB of memory allowed on Win XP 32 bit. Have a newer MB, 1 TB HDD and new Win7 disc for over a year. Needs to go to the PC doctor who knows how to transfer all my info/programs to a nice clean install. My poor HDD is totally confused. Has the original Compaq XP software (killed by a failed BIOS update), a replacement MB that died due to failed capacitors, then a rebuild by a lousy "computer expert". I can no longer can use the Windows search feature, the page comes up blank. It's a b**h getting old and senile. Years ago I would have tackled this myself but now I'm too scared I'll erase all my settings/programs/history/info. I have years of ebay purchases and pictures I could never replace if I screwed up.

imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
    Danny, I have been using Firefox since the beginning and even before it was called Firefox. Remember Netscape Navigator? I used that since the beginning also. Never liked IE.

Well, You can backup all of your Firefox stuff and your Thunderbird stuff (if you use that) with MozBackup. Saves everything (you can choose what to save), then your can restore it on your Win7. I did with no problems.

As for your other data, you have to back it up, then you can restore that. The messiest thing is re-installing all your other software you are using - including Firefox.

If you are using a lot of tabs and only 4GB, you are prone to slowdowns, etc. which you have probably experienced. My Win7 machine had 4GB but I maxed it to 8GB right after I got it. You need the RAM to support all the tabs and histories plus win7 takes more RAM to run.

With newer machines and Win8 you can go up to 16GB which is great!!!

Sorry, this is a little OT for this forum, but I will just say, you want to save all your currency pics so you do not loose them! There Currency was included.

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Jim, technically it's not off topic, I was asking about software. image

I think when you go to a 64 bit OS the memory capacity jumps to 64GB. My new MB has 4 mem slots to accommodate the 2 new 4GB (8GB) sticks and the two older 2GB (4GB) for 12GB. Probably won't use the older, slower 2GB sticks. I can add 2 more sticks of the newer mem for $30-35 vs. the $50+ I originally paid for it a year+ ago for exact match =16GB.

Ironically I have had a brand new Win8 machine sitting 10 feet away that was free from the eMachines settlement. Been sitting there almost 1 1/2 years. I heard about people trying to transition from XP to Win8 having nightmares so there it sits. image
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
    Danny, I would NOT use the new memory sticks with older memory sticks. You are asking for trouble. Use all the same.

Jim61

• luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Yeserrie, same on my end. Strangely, I can see certain pictures, but not others.
  • Originally posted by: Jim61

Danny, I would NOT use the new memory sticks with older memory sticks. You are asking for trouble. Use all the same.

Danny, don't mix them, it's just trouble waiting to happen. I feel your pain as my 8 year old Dell with XP Professional just finally couldn't hack it. Upgraded (finally) to Intel i5 (5 processors) with a solid state hard drive; 8 Gigabytes of memory; runs like a speeding bullet. I've got to go back and have the additional 8 gigabytes of memory installed but that's later. File restorations were okay but missed a few links and tabs and bookmarks (using Firefox), using Windows 7.1 for now and will upgrade to Windows 10 once Service Pack 1 is released (my computer guru is going to do it for free) when it's time.

Yep, getting old is H**L but alternative is not attractive.

Edit to add: Just checked photobucket is still down for maintenance.

Retired

I hope you know what I mean when I said "Use all the same".

To explain, buy whatever upgrade you want to end up with starting from 0GB.

Example, you have 4GB now and want to go to 8GB. Buy a set of matched strips (they will be in one package) of 8GB of total RAM. Take out the 4GB and put aside and install the all new 8GB. DO NOT just buy 4GB more and try to add and use with your existing 4GB. You need to replace all the strips with a matched set.

Jim61

• Originally posted by: Jim61

I hope you know what I mean when I said "Use all the same".

To explain, buy whatever upgrade you want to end up with starting from 0GB.

Example, you have 4GB now and want to go to 8GB. Buy a set of matched strips (they will be in one package) of 8GB of total RAM. Take out the 4GB and put aside and install the all new 8GB. DO NOT just buy 4GB more and try to add and use with your existing 4GB. You need to replace all the strips with a matched set.

image 100%+

Retired

• Jim, I know enough to be dangerous. Now I'm old and senile so I know not to do some things.

I built my computer years when I knew (almost) what I was doing, not anymore. I have bookmarks from ~10 years ago for sites on tweaking your system and all kinds of computer tips that I would use. That was before Google!!! Now you just "ask" Google and it finds all the correct places to answer your problem.

Shut off and unplugged the computer and installed the newer memory but MB is not timing it correctly, 533Mhz not the 800Mhz. Will need to go into BIOS which scares me. My computer is so screwed up the POST screen doesn't display. Maybe time to throw in my new MB. image

As far as memory I'll just go to Newegg and view my previous orders and buy the same stuff. I have some G.SKILL Ripjaws, matched pair of 4GBx2=8GB, 9-9-9-24, DDR3-1600, PC3-1280.
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
  • An update from Photobucket:

"UPDATE: We underwent a major infrastructure change during low peak hours. A major unforeseen issue occurred that has lasted the better part of the day. Our engineers found and fixed the issue, and they are currently testing the site for stability. Once this is verified we will begin to roll out the changes to the site. We will provide another update in the next 60 minutes."

Do I remember these 'unforseen issues' during my career.

Retired

Sounds like old MB does not support the faster memory speeds.

Jim61

• My"computer expert" cheaped out to make an extra $15and did not order the MB I told him to!! He originally ordered a FM2 MB to go with an AMD socket AM3+ CPU. This guy had ~15 years experience and Microsoft Certified believe it or not!! He thought he knew everything and argued over the build. That was 3-4 years ago.

Current MB is an ASRock N68c-GS FX (Here). It's supposed to support this DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) according to specs, I just checked. Newer/upgrade MB is an ASRock 970M Pro3 (Here) that was ~$35 after rebate. image
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
    Do I remember these 'unforseen issues' during my career.

Ah, yea - too many times.

Jim61

It's BAAAACK! Photobucket is working again. image
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
    Decided to live dangerously and try to update my BIOS. Printed two different flash methods and then downloaded the newer BIOS. Held my breath and followed the instructions exactly. BIOS loaded and verified and hit the OK. Hit the F2 and nothing, oh short, I just killed another MB! image Hit the re-start, nada, black screen, turn off, pull plug, remove battery. Still black. Well I'll try to turn the monitor on and off. Yee haw, BIOS window is now showing!!! Did some changes including changing the memory timing. Hardware software says it's still running at 533MHz. Think my CPU is at fault as it's an AM3, not an AM3+. Appears to be another "shortcut" by my expert. Athlon II x 2 245 Regor AM3.
    imageimageimage

Dad 1916-2014
    Good job with the BIOS update. image But sorry that did not help you. image

Danny, I did not know you had another new machine there. Why don't you fire the Win8 up and slowly migrate over to it. Start with downloading Firefox on the new one, MozBackup on the old one and the new one. Then do a full Firefox backup on your old one and restore it on the new one. That would give you Win8 and Firefox all ready to go. Then work on all the other stuff - moving docs, pics, etc. and installing your other software.

Just a suggestion. Most things run 32bit not 64bit anyway. I am typing on a Win8 machine right now. It didn't hurt. haha

Jim61