Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

First NBA NIKE posters

Anyone collect NIKE posters? I belive i have the first ever endorsed NIKE posters from the 70's. I cant find any info though on them.

Comments

• Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭
    I don't collect them but that is a cool item
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    Any pics?

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Nike22
    Anyone collect NIKE posters? I belive i have the first ever endorsed NIKE posters from the 70's. I cant find any info though on them.

Let me know what you have and any photos and I can help verify, or can check with some folks in Oregon. Most of the early ones were running inspiration posters, hoops - Gervin(Iceman), Moses(Malone), Supreme Court, Sidney Moncreif, Darryk Dawkins, football - Doomsday Defense, Bomba Away(Fouts)...
  • Options
    Hi there yes i have pics. These are from the 70's and inwould think really rare. How do you upload pics on this?
  • Options
    These posters are before any of those i believe. They have their first logo on them that came out in 1972 and feature the first ever nike basketball shoe and thier first endorsed nba players which would be geoff petrie and sidney wicks.
  • Options
    Can you guys help me with how to upload pics on here? Lol
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    This thread may help:

Photobucket
  • Options
    Hey there, i can't seem to figure out how to get pictures on here lol i put a description of what they are in the thread. Any tips for uploading pics?
  • Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see where you have the option to just upload a photo from your computer/device like some other sites allow, so you probably just need to host the photos to a site (like Photobucket or similar) and then link to the photos.

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/Photos/Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 5.38.11 PM_zpskuaslkmp.png.html]image[/URL]

Once you have the photo loaded, click on it and off to the right are some links that you can copy and paste to load images to a site. The particular one is photo bucket

[URL=http://s9.photobucket.com/user/mrmopar/media/Miscellaneous Items/Misc BB/SIMinis.jpg.html]image[/URL]
    I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Geoff Petrie and Sidney Wicks were among the first basketball players to wear Nikes. There was the low top Bruins and high top Blazers. I'm proud to say I had a both pairs as a youngster growing up in the mid-1970's.
  • Options
    Im thinking these were the first nba posters put out by nike. The logo the shoe and the players are all firsts. Plus ive never seen these. Anyone have any idea or interested?
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I believe that's right, they probably were the first posters Nike made. Since Portland is so close to where Nike started, it was natural to get the local players to wear their shoes.
  • Options
    I have never seen these and can't find them online anywhere.....
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never seem them as well and they don't fit what we typically put out back in the day. Thinking it was a promotion Nike did with the Portland Trailblazers only kind of like what Burger King does with NFL teams back in the day when they made card sets locally. I will check this week with a couple of folks that were around with them back in the 70's and see if they know anything about them. While interesting pieces and obviously old unless you are a Portland fan or fan of either player I don't know if there is any value to them outside of that area.
  • Options
    Well i would think that being probably the first Nike basketball posters they would hold value. That logo is there first one which you don't see so i would think someone who collects Nike would want something like this.
  • Options

Does anyone know where the original NIKE posters in this thread of Petrie and of Wicks can be purchased? Thanks for letting me know!

• Options
    mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Well, you are 4 years too late unfortunately, but it seems Nike22 was angling pretty hard for someone to buy them at the time. Odds are, with 11 posts (all in this thread) from 4+ years ago, they won't be checking the site if you reply or message them, but it's probably worth a try.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.