Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Expensive Cards on eBay

I don't understand why some are bidding on this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-T...C-311-PSA/141885680178

First, if the seller truly thought he might have a 52 Mantle, he would send it in for grading because he would get 20 times what he is going to get.

Second, you do a search on that PSA number and it comes back as not a valid number (http://www.psacard.com/cert/25119119/)

Third, if it was a true 52 Mantle, there would be so much more interest on the bidding front.

The seller is protecting himself by saying he is unsure of the authenticity, but deep down inside he has to know it is not an original. I don't know...

Just a few thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭
    4. The paragraph about buying the card last week made my head hurt.

5. A worthless card is worth $250 if you can resell it for more.

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    WTF does this mean?

I just purchased this card last week. I had to see what someone sent to PSA and what was the reason for the "A" AUTHENTIC, I have no idea, as I don't collect 52 Topps cards.
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I've now seen I think 3 52 Mantles in the last few weeks being sold with a Questionable Authenticity flip.

Seems people are just grinding down corners, adding blemishes or glasses and hoping for a sucker?

What's it take in fees to grade a 52 Mantle?

Hobby's getting a little shaky lately.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Wow - sold for $305...$305 right down the toilet
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The blurred black "Yankees" lettering on the front and pinkish red on the back are additional dead giveaways.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    I just graded a 1952 Topps Mantle card and it cost me $790. I guarantee this bozo did not send in the this Mantle.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    brendanb438brendanb438 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1954

I just graded a 1952 Topps Mantle card and it cost me $790. I guarantee this bozo did not send in the this Mantle.

The eBay seller who "sold" this card in the OP really really needs to be messed with going forward. I hope someone in the know won the card, paid for it via PP w/ a CC and goes to town on the seller.

Now in regards to $790 to grade a 52 Mantle with PSA. What sort of added value does one get with the grading of this card versus any other card from the early 50s? Does PSA use real 24K gold on the flip instead of ink and a hologram? Maybe a unicorn to seal the case or once confirmed real they overnight it to the Pope to bless it and declare it a sacred religious artifact once used to save Mose and friends from the evil Egyptians?

A % of a cards value or any other graded collectible should be capped once the company doing the grading turns a profit of say 10x the profit realized on the average card or collectible graded by them. I wonder what sort of profit was realized by grading this Mantle compared to an average card? 20x, 40x, 60x???

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Not that there are not still Mantles out there that have been ungraded, there are likely tons. However, none of those are being sold as raw cards on eBay unless they have the backing of one of these big auction/consignment houses like PWCC. PWCC will do their research and need the card in hand. Then after they determine the authenticity, they are going to publicize the hell out of it to get top dollar.