Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Picked up a special card from my youth..

I've recently started hunting eBay trying to put together a 1991 Donruss Elite Series set. So I check the completed listings and come across a Nolan Ryan The Legends Series that did not sell. I notice something in the description that catches my eye, the serial number. I thought to myself, no way!!! The serial number on this card is 0516/7500. At first glance it's kind of low, but this number has a significant meaning.

First off, Nolan Ryan was my favorite player growing up, hands down. I actually pulled this card from a pack when I was a kid (I mentioned how I did this in another thread). My brother and I sold it, which I always regretted. So now I'm looking to buy one and I happen to come across this auction that ended without a sale. I message the seller to see if he planned on relisting it. He responded back that he had just put it back up with a Buy It Now. I know that there are several others currently for sale and a couple are listed at a lower price. But this one was special to me. It was not the exact card I pulled as a kid (I don't remember the serial number from 24 years ago). What made this card so special to me is that it's the Nolan Ryan The Legends Series card with the serial number of 0516/7500. The serial number is my exact birthday!! May 16th, 1975!! What are the odds of that? Of the 7500 printed and the number still remaining in the original wax packs, add on the complete randomness of these cards being listed on eBay with the exact timing in which I happened to be searching out this series.. It's kinda like my own personal Power Ball hit!! The card is an SGC 88.

Anyways, I just wanted to share a personal story that I found incredible..

Comments

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Um, if it was your exact birthday, you'd be a time traveler from the future having been born May 16th, 7500.

Cool story--thanks for sharing. image
  • Congrats! The childhood memories can have more value than the items themselves. Thanks for sharing your find.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome! Congrats on a really cool pickup.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bobsbbcards

Um, if it was your exact birthday, you'd be a time traveler from the future having been born May 16th, 7500.

Cool story--thanks for sharing. image

Technically true. But as we normally write dates as 05/16/75 and ignore the zero's in this case, you get my point.
  • BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    Congrats. The early Elites are classics. My childhood dream card was the 1992 Elite Frank Thomas card, but not just any copy, the one serial numbered 00035/10000, his jersey number. 20+ years after its release, I finally landed it.
    Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: BunchOBull

Congrats. The early Elites are classics. My childhood dream card was the 1992 Elite Frank Thomas card, but not just any copy, the one serial numbered 00035/10000, his jersey number. 20+ years after its release, I finally landed it.

Sweet!! It's such a satisfying feeling to get something like that.. Congratulations.