Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

If I want to try to for a bump in grades how does a review work?

How does the review process at PSA work? I could not find the info on the website. Do you send in cards in the holders? Does PSA remove them from the holders to review? Any info would help.
Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to risk a lower grade by doing a crack and resub, and you believe it to be undergraded or at least has a shot at a bump, you should surely do a review. You do indeed send it in the holder, and you can also ask for a new holder regardless of whether it bumps or not. If you don't request a reholder, I think they review encased unless they feel it requires a closer look. Customer service should be able to confirm.

I like to request a reholder on my reviews so that if it doesn't bump, I at least feel that it wasn't all a waste.

But at the same time, unless it's a high dollar, high risk card, I've started feeling like the crack and resub is a better proposition as it tends to be cheaper and doesn't come with any bias.

Good Luck.
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info. That helps. Anyone else have any input?
    Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    I agree with what has been said above. I would add it really comes down to balancing risks/benefits. I would be downright scared cracking a high dollar 9 for a review as such could potentially result in inadvertent damage to the card or, gasp, a downgrading in the subsequent review. Cracking a lower value 9, with more upside in a 10, is not as risky to me as the risk/benefits shift for me in the positive column.

All told, my gut, and applying simple human logic, seems to be that your chances of upgrading are better if the card is presented raw. But again, that to me at least is a weighing of risk/benefit.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are in the newer PSA slabs do not try for the first time on a higher dollar card to crack them out. If you don't have any to practice on buy a few really cheap cards because they are ridiculously tough to crack safely. The older PSA slabs are a walk in the park and so are BGS. I have been on the boards for a while and there have been a few monster review bumps posted so if you really think the card is under graded it doesn't hurt to try.