Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What is your best ebay "find" ?

2»

Comments

• Everyone:

Please stay on topic - the question is: What is your best ebay "find"? If you wish to keep this thread up and continue posting here in general, I advise you to follow the rules moving forward.

People come to this forum to share stories. You can disagree with someone's perspective/actions, politely, but derailing someone's thread for your own agenda/amusement is not permitted or tolerated. Take is somewhere else.

This is a friendly one-time warning...for this thread and any others.

Forum Admin

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

• RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I hit the BIN for a 200$ card, it recently sold for over 10k!

However I shared my find with a friend before the card arrived, and low and behold, the card was lost in the mail!

Turns out my 'friend" contacted the seller and bought the card AFTER I did for $2,000.

Nice people in this hobby of ours!
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: MULLINS5

The Desert Storm, lol, I meant Shield. Hover a good quality studfinder over where the foil is and it'll beep. Maybe I'll buy some cheap Desert Shield cards and make a video of it.

I think people believe you that a studfinder would work like you are saying. I do, anyway. However, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't Desert Shield baseball cards only found in packs/boxes that were *ALL* Desert Shield baseball cards? So, what exactly would you do with your studfinder? Go to stores/card shops/flea markets and use your studfinder to try and find boxes/packs that the owners somehow didn't know contained all Desert Shield baseball cards?
  • jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    Thanks CU admin. I wanted to keep this light and fun. "Everyone:

Please stay on topic - the question is: What is your best ebay "find"? If you wish to keep this thread up and continue posting here in general, I advise you to follow the rules moving forward.

People come to this forum to share stories. You can disagree with someone's perspective/actions, politely, but derailing someone's thread for your own agenda/amusement is not permitted or tolerated. Take is somewhere else. "

I just thought of another one of mine. I purchased a complete set of 1979 Topps BB uncut sheets from a full time dealers on ebay. I think it went for $60 or $80 about 15 years ago. It was a good price back then and I have no idea what it would be worth now but I have seen sheets go for about $100+ each. Not a major score but I'm glad I grabbed it. I still have it.
    Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: RipublicaninMass

However I shared my find with a friend before the card arrived, and low and behold, the card was lost in the mail!

Turns out my 'friend" contacted the seller and bought the card AFTER I did for $2,000.

Do you mind me asking what card? How long had you been friends?
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 931 ✭✭✭
    Well a lot of these stories blow mine out of the water. I generally don't buy raw cards off ebay, but maybe I should start!

This is very small potatoes, but one time I was browsing signed baseballs on ebay, and came across a Ripken ball signed on the commemorative ball. The auction was ending in about 5 minutes with no bids. That's because they spelled "Ripken" as "Ripkins" So I won the bidding at $9.99

Another time I got a Mr 3000 bobblehead for $15 BIN and flipped it a week later for $125.

That's all I got.

-Corey
  • ssollarsssollars Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭
    Here are a few I remember...

1. 1963 Topps Football 6-pack wax tray with 5 remaining packs. Opened one pack, got the other 4 graded, sold 1 (PSA 7) and a card from the one I opened, still have 1 (PSA 8 - w/Unitas) pack and 2 raw packs (were PSA 8s - long story...) and I already made money off the purchase!

2. 1958 Jim Brown that was part of a "signed" photo plaque I picked up for < _24_1002c_="" cards="" graded="" a="" 6="" 3.="" 1952="" bowman="" small="" dante="" lavelli="" for="" _7e_24_602c_="" an="" 8="" 4.="" 1953="" lou="" groza="" _28_blurry="" picture="" in="" _listing29_="" />< _24_302c_="" graded="" an="" 8="" 5.="" 1962="" jim="" brown="" for="" a="" little="" over="" _24_2002c_="" _821_="" this="" card="" is="" what="" starting="" me="" getting="" all="" the="" basic="" jimmy="" in="" that="" got="" away="" was="" post="" of="" sam="" baker="" listed="" with="" bad="" title="" and="" wrong="" category="" ended="" _it27_s="" bid="" _24_0.99="" not="" _bids21_="" i="" watching="" it="" forgot="" about="" it.="" subsequently="" relist="" correctly="" sold="" /> $150
    WTH ^^^^^

New forum software strikes again!
  • RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1980scollector

It would say a good 5 years, we met through the hobby. We would visit each other at home, talk cards often, and trade in person quite a bit.
  • Last Spring I won this auction on eBay. The seller was cleaning out his old bedroom and had some baseball cards... This was the listing:

"1983-Topps-Baseball-Cards-Lot-of-400-Tony-Gwynn-Ryne-Sandberg-Pete-Rose

This is a lot of around 400 (probably more) Topps Baseball Cards from 1983. The cards are in good condition (no bent corners or anything) but the cards have been in a box for years and there is a slight curve to the cards. Please see pics. These cards are sold as is and there are no returns on this item. Feel free to ask questions or request additional pics. This auction ships to the USA ONLY for $10 (USPS Priority Mail). I can't list out all the cards but there are some good cards in here like these...
    Tony Gwynn Ryne Sandberg Rod Carew Tommy John Nolan Ryan Carlton Fisk George Brett Pete Rose Tim Raines Carl Yastrzemski and more... GOOD LUCK!"

I think I found out about it because I had previously searched for '83 Topps wax packs, and eBay sent me an email saying something to the effect of "based on your recent searches, we thought you might like this item". I can't be exactly sure, but anyhow.. I contacted the seller about the cards and let him know they aren't extremely valuable, but they have some worth. He didn't mind because he hasn't collected cards since his childhood in the early 80s.

I also won a two other auctions of his (they were for the remaining cards) of cards from '79, '80, and one other late-1970s year. There wasn't much in that lot.

Here's the 1983 Topps Lot

The first two photos are from the eBay listing

These two are my quick iPhone photos, sorry for the quality.

How the cards arrived..

Let's try this again... I guess you can't use greater than or less than signs without missing things up!!

1. 1963 Topps Football 6-pack wax tray with 5 remaining packs. Opened one pack, got the other 4 graded, sold 1 (PSA 7) and a card from the one I opened, still have 1 (PSA 8 - w/Unitas) pack and 2 raw packs (were PSA 8s - long story...) and I already made money off the purchase!

2. 1958 Jim Brown that was part of a "signed" photo plaque I picked up for under $100, card graded a 6

3. 1952 Bowman Small Dante Lavelli or around $60, graded an 8

4 1953 Lou Groza (blurry picture in listing) for $30, graded an 8

5 1962 Jim Brown for a little over $200, graded an 8, this card is what started me on the basic Jimmy set in all 8s

One that got away was a 1962 Post of Sam Baker listed with a bad title and in the wrong category, it ended with it's starting bid of $0.99 with no one bidding on it. I was watching it and forgot about it, subsequently relist correctly and sold for over $150
  • 2005 or 2006, 1965 Topps unopened baseball wax box for 1200
    It never leaves you...
  • Originally posted by: Raulsmaster
    2005 or 2006, 1965 Topps unopened baseball wax box for 1200

WOW. I wonder what one of those would go for at auction now?
    Shayne A Sherman
  • I couldn't believe it either. Flipped it immediately for 7000. I definitely left a little on the table but I find it tough to feel to sorry for myself. Same time frame...1997 Finest die cut embossed gold refractor, in a PRO 10 holder of all things, for $450. crossed it to a BGS 9.5 and it went to a new home for 4500 I believe. I was on the roll!
    It never leaves you...
  • Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Raulsmaster
    I couldn't believe it either. Flipped it immediately for 7000. I definitely left a little on the table but I find it tough to feel to sorry for myself. Same time frame...1997 Finest die cut embossed gold refractor, in a PRO 10 holder of all things, for $450. crossed it to a BGS 9.5 and it went to a new home for 4500 I believe. I was on the roll!

Sweet!!
  • addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭
    Pro, gma, elite for the most part junk but once in awhile they grade out.
  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, did you find that on eBay? If you know where the packs ended up, let me know. That's the only pack I need to finish my 1960-80 run.
  • eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭
    I got a 1992 pro sport sachin Tendulkar for 17 Dallas shipped from eBay India. I sold it last year for 500. I got a 1974 Yamakatsu Andre the giant for about 15 dollars before the set was really known. I think I sold that for 300. Another good one was a 2004 Panini Messi that got for 35 bucks on eBay Spain and sold it for 300
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • 1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: 1980scollector

It would say a good 5 years, we met through the hobby. We would visit each other at home, talk cards often, and trade in person quite a bit.

That's unbelievable. Did you confront him? What was excuse?
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Originally posted by: gemint

Wow, did you find that on eBay? If you know where the packs ended up, let me know. That's the only pack I need to finish my 1960-80 run.

I did. Caught it right when it was listed. I can barely remember yesterday my friend lol...great deals are always vivid in my memory though
    It never leaves you...
  • Mine doesn't hold a candle to most of these stories, but around 2003 or 2004 I bought a sealed set of 1987 Ace Fact Pack 49ers from a guy in the U.K. for $250 U.S. and immediately graded the Montana and Rice cards. They came back Montana BGS 9.5 (was before I started grading with PSA) and Rice BGS 9. Sold the Montana for $800 and the Rice for $350 - and still have the rest of the set.

Also around the same time, I bought a bunch of Big 33 High School Sets including a 1991 Pennsylvania set and tucked them all away. I recently found them in a box I was searching for gradeables and sent a few off. I got a PSA 9 and a PSA 9 (OC) Curtis Martin and a PSA 9 Marvin Harrison. Since then I've sold the PSA 9 Curtis Martin on a best offer of $1250. I think I paid around $12 for the complete set.
    Think. Thank. Thunk.

My eBay Listings
  • MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    A couple of years back Coin Gallery of Oyster Bay had a 75 mini set listing. Listed horribly I might add. There were few scans and not of key cards, just a story about a regular coin customer who dumped a set of cards on them. Being a lunatic collector of the set, it piqued my interest. One thing one of the scans showed was a red/yellow color combo card that was well printed, full sized and well centered. That combination never happens. I put a bid of $1,400 on the set and won it for under $600. It showed up at work a few days later and I almost had to take the rest of the day off. The cards were in no order. To this day I have no idea if it was a complete set. They were razor sharp and as a whole, the best centered minis I have ever seen as a group. I hit a dozen PSA 10s and roughly 100 PSA 9s, many extremely low pops, and a bunch of low pop 8s, plus a ton of star 9s like Brett, etc.. Most of the cards have been resold a few times now, for even more money each time, but the bottom line is I wound up clearing about $25k from $1,500 including grading fees.

I remember posting a quick scan of 8 raw cards the night I came home, 4 red yellow, 4 green yellow, all commons. MattyC commented that I had about $5k there and he about nailed it. Probably a once in a lifetime hit, but made extra special by the fact it was a set I have collected passionately for a very long time.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: eagles33

I got a 1992 pro sport sachin Tendulkar for 17 Dallas shipped from eBay India. I sold it last year for 500.

Wow, 17 Dallas? That sounds expensive! image

Not the first time I've heard of Texas being used as currency though:

• Originally posted by: RipublicaninMass

Irony.