Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Crossover question (on-site grading)

oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a couple of unattributed Top Pop varieties which current reside in NGC holders. I am going to be attending the ANA National Money Show in Dallas, TX in March, where "PCGS Representatives will be able to answer questions", but would like to get a jump start in this submission.

Would the PCGS Booth personnel be able to determine if a coin will cross at the existing grade prior to going through the gauntlet of the process of submitting and wasting both of our time (and my money)?

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the "on-site" process.

I understand that the coins "should" be available by the end of the show.

Perhaps this would be a question to ask Customer Service.

Thank you for your comments in advance!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...

Comments

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you call a waste of time and money they call a business model. Like many professionals, they charge a fee for their opinion. In any case, the booth personnel are usually not graders and would not be qualified to offer the sort of opinion you're looking for.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What you gotta do is take David Hall to lunch. image
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, I think they would be fine with providing one of their fee services for free because you don't see the value. Ironically you WANT the coins in their holders? Why? Because they look nicer in PCGS holders?
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooo...I set myself up for that. image Thank you for the schooling on re-reading my post before throwing it out there.

The "waste of time" was geared toward if it would cross or not. The money aspect was for "on-site" grading vs. submission through regular channels. Nobody rides for free.

I believe the answer would be...how much is my time worth?

Shorter response time = $$$$$

Longer response time = $$$
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no cost to showing your coins to ex-graders/dealers on the bourse floor before attempting to submit it. I'm sure there are some qualified eyes on this forum who would be at the show and wouldn't mind giving an opinion. Remember that when trying to cross NGC you're already starting in the hole unless the coin is superb for the grade. If the coins are problem-free, it could be simpler and less costly to just crack them out. One way or another, they will eventually get the grade they are due.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file