Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Do you think this '89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr. is worth grading?

Hey all. I was photographing the Donruss Elite card for my other thread and thought I would post an image of my 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. that I pulled from a box about 5 years ago. It's been sitting in a penny sleeve inside a top loader since I pulled it. The centering seems to be very good. Everything else seems really nice except for the little bit of the rough cut at the top.

I just wanted to get your expert opinions on the condition of this card. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Does PSA take into account the halo gram on the back?? That does appear to have the top part missing. Might knock it down a grade??
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    I would grade it. It looks like a solid card.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Isn't the bottom left corner "rounded" just a bit? Looks like an 8 at best if it is. Could just be the scan too....
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Stingray
    Does PSA take into account the halo gram on the back?? That does appear to have the top part missing. Might knock it down a grade??

Yes. Unless you get a grader that for some reason is unaware of the hologram, that card will grade no higher than a 7 if that is in fact a piece of the hologram missing.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are Lready so many of them graded, it makes you wonder if it is worth it

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PSA is incredibly hard on these 89 UD griffeys. I opened up a little more than a case of 89 UD last year. I think I pulled 15 or so Griffeys, sent in 11 of them to PSA. After looking them over at least 4 different times, my thought was the worst that would happen is a few of them might come back as PSA 8s if I had missed something.

Boy was I wrong:

(6) PSA 5
    (3) PSA 9
    (2) PSA 6

I ended up selling all of them I was so frustrated. Made me second guess my 30+ years of collecting to be honest.
    Shayne A Sherman
  • Options
    For example I found the pics for the (2) PSA 6s I sold:

Shayne A Sherman
  • Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭
    They will ding you for the hologram

Otherwise definitely a 9 candidate
    Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the info on the holograms. I'll let him stay free.

I have a couple of BBCE FASC High series boxes coming from MantleFan23 that I am planning on busting.