Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

I Just did something I haven't done in over 20 years!!

I walked into an old card shop I used to visit when I was a kid. They are still around surprisingly. The owner is new, but turns out to have been a long time customer of the old owner. Anyway's he had some junk wax boxes sitting on a table. So I picked up a box of 1992 Donruss Series II Baseball for $5.00. I haven't bought any of this in over 20 years. I remember pulling a Rickey Henderson Legends Series card from this product a long time ago. I thought $5.00 is a cheap bit of entertainment. It would be fun to see if I could beat the odds and pull one of those Elite Series, The Legends Series or even the Signature Series cards.

There were 4 boxes to choose from. One of the boxes was a bit darker red than the rest, so that was the one I bought. I get it home and pull the bottom left stack of packs out. I start opening the packages and hit a Diamond King in the 3rd pack. The very next pack I start to peal the plastic open and staring up at me was a green back with the words "The Elite Series" at the bottom of the card. I yelled out loud "You have to be kidding me!!!!" My girlfriend asked what was the matter? I told her I couldn't believe I pulled one of the cards I was hoping to get. The odds are like 1 in every 50 boxes or something. She couldn't really care less. But I hadn't felt that thrill in so long!!!! I just had to share it with you guys.

Nothing like a stroll down memory lane with a thrill along the way.

Comments

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    And that's why we all still collect...so we can feel like kids again. Congrats on the pull and the rush you must have felt.
  • Options
    curchcurch Posts: 590 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome! I bought so many boxes of that back then. Never pulled one.
    Always looking for vintage wax boxes!
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Congrats! That had to be a thrill.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭
    Congrats, I remember that exact same thrill. I was a teenager when 1992 Donruss was out and I pulled a Tony Gwynn Elite from a pack, just like that one. It was the most expensive card I had ever pulled. I actually just recently sold mine on Ebay the other day.
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭
    $5.00 for a box for some cheap entertainment. Cant beat it. Much better use of $5.00 than some $5.00 drink from starbucks. Nice pull. I remember opening up many boxes of those back in the day and never did pull an elite card.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is so awesome I never pulled one as a kid.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was very fun... Now to pull one from the 1991 Donruss. That would be much, much more difficult. LOL
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    Those 1991 and 1992 Elites are my favorite insert set of the 90's. I love that card and am happy for ya! Congrats!
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    I spent a lot of money trying to pull those elite cards as a kid. Nice job.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Score! It's pretty hard to quadruple your money busting those boxes, well done.
  • Options
    Haha, awesome pull. I chuckle at the girlfriends reaction. We give them the same reaction when there is a shoe sale at the mall.
    #CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    Originally posted by: BeRoyalKC

Haha, awesome pull. I chuckle at the girlfriends reaction. We give them the same reaction when there is a shoe sale at the mall.

So true!! But I only spent $5.00 where as she would spend $50.00 and up!! LOL
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    It's astounding how difficult they were to pull with the print run they had. They must still be printing 1992 Donruss!

Nice pull!
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome pull and that is want the hobby is about. It is fun to go back and open packs/boxes you remember from back in the day - sad part to some is all of them are a lot cheaper now image
  • Options
    Originally posted by: KendallCat

Awesome pull and that is want the hobby is about. It is fun to go back and open packs/boxes you remember from back in the day - sad part to some is all of them are a lot cheaper now image

My brother and I were heavy into sports cards back in the day. We saw the writing on the wall when every manufacturer started printing high end sets along side the base sets. We just thought it was getting ridiculous and we sold pretty much everything we had. We took that money and wisely invested in the next best thing, comics!! LOL

I'm actually glad the prices are as low as they are. I'm currently trying to assemble a complete 1991 Donruss Elite set with the Nolan Ryan and Ryne Sandberg cards. I prefer to try to keep them raw as I want to put each one in a 1/2" lucite holder and mount them in a frame along with an original magazine ad of the 1991 Donruss cards. I think it will look very cool and I know my brother would love to see it.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    great pull

congrats!
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    That's awesome!

I have found myself doing some of the same things! I do it to see if I get some of those great inserts. When I'm done, I don't want to take up space around the house--or throw them away-- so many times I give them to a kid (my daughter is too young, but I have step-children and there are always neighborhood kids). Maybe by doing that, it gets them excited about the hobby and they get the current generation into it! They get way more satisfaction having a box full of cards that are worth pennies on the dollar than I would

When I do open up some of these packs - the 1988 Topps packs come to my immediate mind - it brings me back to a different time. As my eyes watch each card slide through my fingers as I go through the cards, I honestly feel like I have been transported back to 1988. Almost as if I am back at my local card shop and staring up at those boxes of cards on the shelves behind the counter. Scanning and seeing what I wanted to spend my $1 weekly allowance on. I always thought the $15 MJ Fleer RC or the $1.00 Henderson RC were so expensive! I mean I could get 2 to 3 packs for the price of the Henderson RC...I could get a box for the MJ RC. I would rush home. I sometimes even opened my packs in the store to see if my card shop wanted to buy any of them back from me I would have my recent copy of Beckett in my hands. I may still have some of those lying around - I remember the Mattingly 1988 issue and the Canseco as well. I would then count up how much the cards in the pack were worth...often times double or tripling my money! Oh, how the times have changed. Now those cards are not very valuable and I'm left with the memories...but good memories they are.

Thanks for sharing OP!
  • Options
    It is amazing how it almost feels like you step into a time machine and go back to when you were a kid while opening your favorite packs of cards. I get absolutely nothing from opening recent packs. Give me nearly anything from 1993 and back and I am as happy as can be. The best part is the boxes are so freaking cheap, you can just kill hours of time for very little money.
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    Great story. Congrats. Brings back memories when we thought cards numbered to 10,000, 5,000 etc were so rare and we were so happy to have them. Nowadays we don't even get excited about a card numbered to 25, lol.

• Options
    lilmulelilmule Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice, it truly is a great feeling.
    Knotty Hobby Woodworks
    Vintage Rookies