Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Centering and grading

66 Centering?

I understand that it might be a great paper, color, impression, etc. There's something that I don't quite get about an off-center note like this being up at the 66 level.

Comments

• Options
    I agree! This grade is disappointing.... I'd much prefer to see it in a 64 EPQ holder.
  • Options
    I agree also. On the other hand I have seen notes with better centering in 64 PPQ holders and wondered why they weren't graded higher.
    Small size type collector and fancy serial numbers
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    I see it as a 65 note
  • Options
    TigerTraderTigerTrader Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I guess they used the "well it could be trimmed and be a 66" reasoning...

I think it is better than a 64 for sure. The top margin is huge but the other 3 are very healthy normal looking margins. It almost seems like the note may be a little bigger than most...

• Options
    numbersmannumbersman Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Within my "old school" thought process it is not a gem(65 or higher)regardless of what the holder may state.I was taught to grade initially by reading books..the Friedberg book states that "it MUST be perfectly centered with full margins".I realize that there are other books/references that state different parameters,but that is the way I was brought up in this business/hobby and was expected to adhere to when selling(slabbed or not).I also realize that times have changed and the "old" standards are evolving....but this note,to me,is no gem.if it were,what on earth would a 67 look like!?
    Collector of numeral seals.That's the 1928 and 1928A series of FRNs with a number rather than a letter in the district seal. Owner/operator of Bottom Line Currency
  • Options
    larry510larry510 Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Each series may be graded differently depending on the typical series centering and margin sizes which vary a lot from series to series. The 1957 series is known for having nice big margins so I would grade this one as a solid 65epq. They're only one point off but I have seen a number of worse overgrades than this one by PMG.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Reverse centering looks better than the front, but the front is what matters. I am on the fence on the grade, between a strong 64 or weak 65.
  • Options
    Big margins, slightly off center. If this was a Colonial note PMG would have it as a 71 EPQ!
    Colonial and Continental Currency Collector.

• Options
    Jim61Jim61 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭
    Well grading has not been perfect yet and I don't see it being perfect in the rest of my lifetime. We are all human and have opinions and we all make mistakes.

Until they are graded by robots and guided by strict programming, I don't see any changes in the future. Just my opinion!!!!

Jim61

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16566561 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps and TheRock!

Looking for $1 CU FRN radar 16977961.

Looking for $1 CU FRN 99999961 - NOT ANY MORE, THANK YOU delistamps!

Looking for $50 FRN 00000061
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    My sense is PCGS places a higher premium on centering than PMG does; PMG may compensate in other areas. Initially I collected stamps and was always focused on centering; that priority has carried into my currency tastes.

In some respects centering is probably the least important aspect for a TPG to weigh in on; it is easily apparent to anyone viewing a picture of the note. Paper quality, color, embossing, etc. are not as evident when viewing pictures online.

By the way, I don't mention this to start a PCGS v PMG debate (we've had enough of those): I buy notes from both. I just think the difference is important and reason why I would not buy a note based on grade without seeing a photo of it.

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Centering and front to back in register too
  • Options
    tomtomtomtomtomtomtomtom Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: delistamps
    My sense is PCGS places a higher premium on centering than PMG does; PMG may compensate in other areas. Initially I collected stamps and was always focused on centering; that priority has carried into my currency tastes.

In some respects centering is probably the least important aspect for a TPG to weigh in on; it is easily apparent to anyone viewing a picture of the note. Paper quality, color, embossing, etc. are not as evident when viewing pictures online.

By the way, I don't mention this to start a PCGS v PMG debate (we've had enough of those): I buy notes from both. I just think the difference is important and reason why I would not buy a note based on grade without seeing a photo of it.

I also don't want to get into the debate either but I sometimes wonder if higher value notes get a nod. Here is another "66"...sold $5300

Since fractionals were hand cut, many argue that there are really "tough notes" to get as great centering. But this is not the case here. Here is an AU note with much better centering to discount that argument ....sold for half the price.

• Options
    dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Tom,

Between the two Justice notes, I would much rather own the second note (PCGS 55) over the first note because of it price and its much better presentation. I try to look for the better looking of the rarer notes and don't care for the number on the holder. If I was trying for the best in the registry, then I would want the the higher graded note and not care for its presentation. It has much better presentation than the first note and the fold is not obvious. With that said, I do agree that the first Justice note is a Gem quality note. With Justice notes, all you have to have is about one millimeter on the margin to get a Gem grade and that note, it looks about right. I am note a grader but I would consider it a 65 (not a 66). If the second note did not have a hidden fold, I would consider it a 66 or a 67 for a grade. It is a beautiful looking note and I would much rather have it than the first note.