Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1991 Topps Traded "Gray Back" Variations.

Hello and good evening everyone,

I'm sure it's already been discussed in depth somewhere, but can't remember. Does anyone know if PSA distinguishes between typical 1991 Topps Traded baseball cards, and the "Gray Back" versions found only in the wax boxes that year? The pop report doesn't reflect it, unless I'm looking at it wrong, and maybe it's something we can change, due to it in fact being a variation and not a print defect like lots of 'Variations" are...it's not like it's name in half yellow because of a lack of red ink like 1980 Topps baseball has or anything like that....has anyone brought this to PSA's attention?

I know it's only 1991 Topps Traded and not 1948 Bowman, but still the years I grew up on and it has it's place..thanks for any help guys.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.

Comments

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    You have a better shot of finding a t206 Wagner at a tag sale sorry..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: jackstraw

+1, I have at least 20 similar blatant variations I collect that will never be noted on a PSA flip.
  • Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: LarkinCollector

+1, I have at least 20 similar blatant variations I collect that will never be noted on a PSA flip.

Just don't understand what the big deal is...it's either a regular or a gray back..and involves putting a couple more letters on the flip. Aww well, thanks anyway.
    Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    There are numerous back differences in the 1991 base set.
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bishop
    There are numerous back differences in the 1991 base set.

I need to enlighten myself on this! I've read that it's almost impossible to put a "master set" of 91 together, but want to learn more. I was curious about the Tradeds though, because I'm interested in building that set first (which isn't a big thing), but was curious why if there is in fact only two different versions, why they couldn't recognize it..just a compulsive thing, and I've seen, like mentioned above, less of a variation recognized.
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    There are lots of variations and even errors, like the one below, that are not recognized by PSA. You would think that very obvious ones would be, but from my understanding if it's not included in SCD's Standard Catalog, PSA will not recognize them.

Matt

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice Jimmy is get both gray back and regular back into PSA slabs. Then send several "sets" of both backs in the cards to PSA with "Attn Joe Orlando" with a letter asking to get the Variations to the labels recognized and start from there.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Stooge
    My advice Jimmy is get both gray back and regular back into PSA slabs. Then send several "sets" of both backs in the cards to PSA with "Attn Joe Orlando" with a letter asking to get the Variations to the labels recognized and start from there.

That's a very good idea...build both sets in graded form and then work it out. The differences side by side between both versions are easily distinguishable...

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Are you actually getting all 132 cards graded? Twice? Hopefully you wont have to sub Candy Maldonado and Bud Black more than one time to get the grades you want.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: Gemyanks10

Just don't understand what the big deal is...it's either a regular or a gray back..and involves putting a couple more letters on the flip. Aww well, thanks anyway.

I don't understand it either, but if they won't recognize the back color differences on: 1960 Topps BB Series 5 (cream/gray/white), 1979 Topps FB (gray/cream), 71-72 Fleer Globetrotters (cream/dark gray), etc. I don't see much hope for 1991 Topps Traded BB.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    And yet they have recognized such differences in the Topps 1952 and 1954 sets, resulting in huge price premiums for the gray backs
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Originally posted by: bishop
    And yet they have recognized such differences in the Topps 1952 and 1954 sets, resulting in huge price premiums for the gray backs

There would be some large premiums for other sets as well, if they only identified them. It's a catch 22, PSA won't recognize the variation if there's no price difference, but if the variations aren't noted most would have no idea how difficult some of the variations are.
  • Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Are gray backs more valuable? Were there less wax boxes produced than factory sets?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: billwaltonsbeard
    Are gray backs more valuable? Were there less wax boxes produced than factory sets?

More valuable, probably not at this point. Random check of a few cards at COMC with at least 7 copies of a given player came up with 22 white backs to only 5 gray. Just guessing, but I would expect grays to be harder to find in gem condition even if production was equal between factory sets and wax (personally don't believe this was the case) when you account for stains and other wax related quality issues.
  • Options
    Are you actually getting all 132 cards graded? Twice? Hopefully you wont have to sub Candy Maldonado and Bud Black more than one time to get the grades you want.

I grew up idolizing Candy..definitely one of the best catchers of the late 80's - early 90's and is in a league all his own. A PSA 10 right off the bat on the first submission would be incredible lol. He was a true hero and a role model to kids.

• Options

More valuable, probably not at this point. Random check of a few cards at COMC with at least 7 copies of a given player came up with 22 white backs to only 5 gray. Just guessing, but I would expect grays to be harder to find in gem condition even if production was equal between factory sets and wax (personally don't believe this was the case) when you account for stains and other wax related quality issues.

According to the BBCE site as well, grey backs only came in the Topps Traded wax boxes that year unlike the regular version which came in the typical 132 count boxes and the "flat retail boxes". I'm not sure how scarce the Topps Traded wax boxes are, but they seem considerably more scarce than the typical cards. I an going to do an all PSA 10
    homemade set of both versions and will create a separate thread detailing my progress. Thanks for all who contributed to this thread and it feels great to talk about cards, rather than the typical mumbo jumbo that doesn't matter....well it does matter, but in a separate section lol.

Edit to add that gum is an issue as well with the grey back versions because of gum in the packs unlike the typical run of the mill Tradeds. As mentioned, will grade both, and then work on getting them recognized. Maybe it will open Pandora's box with getting other similiar things noted and recognized. SCD is well and good, but cards are cards, and in a situation like this, it should be a no-brained just like other similiar variations. I've seen "ink blotches", names in half yellow, etc recognized and that isn't as cut and dry as this is IMO.

• Options
    Originally posted by: Littletweed
    There are lots of variations and even errors, like the one below, that are not recognized by PSA. You would think that very obvious ones would be, but from my understanding if it's not included in SCD's Standard Catalog, PSA will not recognize them.

Is this real? If so, do you know how rare is the Jams version is?
  • Options
    Originally posted by: saraceno21
    Originally posted by: Littletweed

Is this real? If so, do you know how rare is the Jams version is?

A card like that, PSA should recognize right off the bat...what should it matter if it's in SCD or not..it's a legit variation/error and should be noted...i'll try getting some of these recognized as I work on them....good question on the "Jams" question...