Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Gotta love eBay

So I was watching a large size red seal national for over 6 months. During those 6 months plus the note was for sale for $375. It was in bad shape but semi rare. I offered the seller numerous times that i'd gladly pay $315 shipped for the note. He refused each and every time. I logged on this morning and now the note is listed by a new seller for $999. This just kills me. Now I know i'll never own this note and ill have to watch it sit on eBay for the next 2 years at $999. Awesome.
Collecting Grand Rapids, Michigan Nationals all denominations, series, and types as well as obsoletes.

Please PM me with any available for sale.

Comments

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭
    Is the Large Size market climbing?

I'm in Small Size land so honestly don't watch the big brothers but respect the gorgeous engraving designs that contribute to high pricing
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭
    Everyone offer him $250. Then when he gets an offer for $315 he'll think he hit paydirt!

By the way, that's probably what just happened. The previous seller got an offer between $315 and $375 after hearing from you numerous times and thought he better grab it...

• Options

What a great story. Thank you for posting! I know this would be annoying for you to wait so long and now someone has seen the opportunity to reprice it. I haven't looked into the census but on face value of the listing it's a rare note, albeit with somewhat limited demand due to condition. This note like you said will probably sit for a couple of years then someone will offer $500-600 (thinking that's a bargain) and he'll sell. Please I mean no offence but may I ask why haggle over $60.... and to watch it for 6 months? A perverse satisfaction of seeing it remain unsold lol. I know it's 16% and maybe there is the principle of being an "informed buyer" but at the end of the day it's only $60.....

I'd like to give an alternate point of view. I'm a Large Size collector and have maybe half a dozen notes that I'd be happy to sell (but not desperate or needing to sell) placed on eBay at recent market prices. I do this so I can take the opportunity to exit select notes if someone is prepared to buy, doing this I (try to) avoid tying up too much capital in banknotes. It always raises an eyebrow when someone sends a "best offer" at 50% or less of the asking price. It just isn't going to happen! My "best offer" will have 5% to move, 10-15% if you can get it off ebay image

Imho I think sometimes buyers assume the seller "needs" to sell. It just isn't the case. I completely understand that when I was only a buyer, I never understood the sellers. Now I am a seller too, I just don't understand buyers. Many add my EPQ notes to their watch lists but are never prepared to pay recent market prices image If someone really wants a note I'll always say go for it! They bring much enjoyment!image

• Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    I definitely understand your frustration. There are dozen of notes where I have made an offer on a note only to be turned down. For me the frustrating part was in over eight cases getting a note from eBay several months later showing that the item had sold for less than my original offer. You would've thought the dealer would've came back to me and offered me the note at my price.
    Separate question, why does anyone put an item on eBay as buy it now / best offer but not take an offer within 10% of BIN price. Why even have the best offer feature?

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    That's a huge bummer! Nationals are so tough that way vs. a type note that may, at any given time, have dozens of examples available to choose from.
  • Options
    Yea bsides you're right it was only $60. I guess in my mind regardless of rarity its hard for me to justify spending over $300 on a note in that kind of condition or maybe i'm just not as wealthy as some of members on this forum. Either way, I do know where the highest graded note of the 3 is. However, that one will now cost me even more than $375 actually a lot more. You gotta pay if you wanna play, right?

Collecting Grand Rapids, Michigan Nationals all denominations, series, and types as well as obsoletes.

Please PM me with any available for sale.