Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

In person autograph stories.

Thought it would be interesting if we shared some in person autograph experiences, both good and bad. I have met quite a few players over the years. Most have been great. Robin yount spent quite a while chatting about baseball and motorcycles. Eddie Murray talked about the toughest pitchers he ever faced (Doyle Alexander) and frank thomas also took time to chat. Frank Robinson however, is a total jerk unless you are paying. Even then he didn't say anything. He has just ignored me while looking down his nose at me multiple times. What are some of your experiences?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorKDoctorK Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
    Most of my encounters were during Spring Training in Florida:

Jeff Kent --jerk

Bagwell--First Class all the way...signed a ton

Biggio--Friendly but sometimes didn't sign

Billy Wagner--Talkative and signed tons

Lance Berkman--Signed and was friendly

Chipper--First Class and signed a ton

Smoltz--Good dude and signed readily

Glavine--Signed regularly

Joe Torre---Didn't say much but signed a ton

Jason Giambi--signed everytime I saw him

Mel Stottlemeyer--the scapegoat when no one else was signing. He signed a bunch.

Tino Martinez---Signed a ton when he played for Rays.

Johnny Damon--Super nice guy and great signer

Jim Thome--Great guy and good signer

Travis Hafner--Nice, friendly, talkative, and good signer but always wanted to get back in the cage for extra AB's

Trot Nixon--Easy going, signed a ton, stayed after the game to sign more

Cliff Lee--Signed and talked

Ryan Howard--Signed a ton prior to his Rookie year

Bob Feller--What needs to be said

Ken Griffey, Jr.---Would not sign for adults but did sign for every kid nearby. Scum, local dealers would "hire" kids to get autos.

Josh Hamilton--Caught him on his comeback (Reds)...didn't recognize him at first. Signed and chatted for a good while.

George Brett--Sat behind him during a game and made a point not to bother him during the game. Fans would come up between innings and ask for autos and he obliged. I did ask him once the game was over and he signed but did not say a word or look my way.

Tom Lasorda--sat behind home plate during Dodgers/Indians match up. He would sign freely between innings.

Pedro Martinez signed one ball during a rain cancelled spring training game and it was for me.

Tons more that may come to mind later. These were the ones that stuck out the most. Did I mention that Kent was a JERK?

• Options
    Couldn't help but cackle over your F. Robi experience. Just like mine. Exactly. Wouldn't even look my way after I gently pushed forward his photo and a pen and greeted him with a kind "Hello Mr. Robinson". Still one of my faves. Like, we were buddies, right?

I'll never forget how pleasant John Lackey was when I met him. Kind of defies his on field demeanor. Mark Grace will keep you laughing. Also met Zack Greinke so long ago, when he was a rail thin kid on K.C. Must have caught him on a good day. From throughout the years, these are just a few which stand out.

Best meet and greet ever? Well, if you ever had a chance to get close enough to Stan Musial, you'd understand that there was really no one else remotely like him.
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    Bob Backlund was campaigning for a political office seat in CT a few years ago and was walking around my town talking to people. I was mowing my lawn and he came up to me to ask if he can cut through my yard to get to the next street. I talked to him and he signed a picture for me. (He had stacks of them.) We must have been talking for 40 minutes where it got to the point where I was trying to walk away to finish my lawn. A super great guy. I told him the story of the time that I wrestled him in high school. He was the wrestling coach for a local town and during the state tournament he was giving demonstrations of real (not WWF) wrestling moves. He had me get on top of him to try and break his arm down so that I can put him into the mat. I had a better chance of knocking down the nearby I beam. He was super strong plus I was only 95 lbs at the time. Again, he was an awesome guy and would talk to anybody who would listen.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Many years ago I was visiting my parents (in my home town) and saw that Harvey Haddix and Bob Robertson were signing at the Holiday Inn. As a Pirates fan, I always admired them, especially as Robertson was a local hero. I didn't pay much attention to the cost as it was billed as a charity signing and I thought it couldn't be too much. When I reached the front on the line I saw that each was charging the princely sum of $1. I looked at Bob Robertson and said "is it really a dollar?" He replied, "C'mon man, it's for the kids." I put a twenty in each of their buckets. It still makes me laugh every time I think about it.
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭
    Tom Seaver was great when I met him. My dad took me to my first game for my 10th birthday at Wrigley, 09/24/1975. Seaver had a no-hitter with two outs in the ninth when Tarzan Joe Wallis got a hit off of him. Seaver went on to pitch 10 innings that day and the Cubs won 1-0. Fast forward a 30 years or so to when my dad gave me the scorecard that he kept from that day as he knew I was going to meet Tom Terrific. When I got to the front of the line, I told Seaver about the day with my dad as it was the best one he and I ever had together. Tom talked with me for 10 minutes, introduced me to his wife and daughter, and could not have been any nicer. There were hundreds of people in line behind us at Rosemont but Seaver didn't care. He signed the scorecard to me as follows: "To Tom, Happy Birthday! Tom Seaver".
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Went to Bradenton every spring from '88 to '92. Although I'm not much of an autograph person I would watch as others approached Bonds. He was an equal opportunity hater. He disrespected and certainly wouldn't sign for
    adults or kids. At least not the times I saw him.

Edited to add: The only autos I ever got are in order: Johnny Unitas, Ordell Braase (Colts), Rick Volk (Colts), Ted Williams, Carl Yaz, Eric Davis, Alan Trammell, Ivan Rodriquez and Kirby Puckett. Might have missed one or two. All were super nice.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Maurice Richard - Had him sign his page in a 1950s book "100 Greatest Sports Heroes" -- he sat and read the whole write-up on him and said he had never seen it before.

Vladislav Tretiak - Signing along with Ed Belfour. Tretiak started a conversation with me asking if I play hockey, with who and what position.

Vladimir Konstantinov - Just a normal signing except it was right before his terrible, like-altering accident.

Jagr - I thanked him and he didn't respond. He shook my hand, but wouldn't look at me, lol.

Grant Fuhr - First NHL player I met.

Gord Broseker - NHL linesman, family friend, always got me game used pucks and autos.

Joe Montana - Signed and inscribed a photo I brought to him to my brother-in-law for free since he is in the Air Force.

Mike Bossy - I used to fly to Michigan and play high school ice hockey with Southgate Anderson. When I found out he was going to be at a local show I rearranged my plane ticket to stay a couple days extra and meet him. This was around 1995 and he let me come around the table and sit next to him for a photo. Met him a second time last year at Chantilly.

Chuck Rayner - Like most older hockey players, was a great signer. I met him around 1995.

Sergei Fedorov - Met him in a mall and he had on a fly pair of amber colored sunglasses inside. So cool, lol.

Donald Trump - Recently had him sign a hat on the campaign trail in Richmond.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Early 90's. Willie Mays. Had him sign 3 Life Mag. pictures. I approached, said "Hello Mr. Mays". Never looked up or acknowledged me. Promoter took my 3 items, placed in front of Willie. He signed them and sent me on my way. Very assembly line like as expected. IIRC they were $75 each. First/last paid autograph for me.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone who has never attended a Nat'l and am considering going, have a question for those that have attended one. How are returns, if any, handled with dealers? Are all sales final? Any experiences here of buying trimmed cars (discovered after leaving the premises)?Wise to bring your ruler buying raw vintage? Will dealers allow you enough time to completely verify the legitimacy of ungraded cards you are purchasing? With Ebay you have many return options and much time to look over the card. Local shows usually are all sales final. Dependent on your relationship with the dealer,in some cases returns are granted.If paying by cash wise to obtain a receipt? Is cash preferred? Perhaps some of the Nat'l dealers could weigh in here with their policies, as well as past Nat'l show goers overall experiences?Not trying to be a PITA,just want to know what to expect in this regard before attending, so a positive experience is enjoyed by me/sellers. Thanks in advance for the responses. Posted in wrong thread,wanted it in the National thread.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    1980scollector1980scollector Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭
    A friend and I, at the age of 16, drove a few hours to watch Duke, Kansas, Marquette and Purdue play in Knoxville, TN in the NCAA tournament. We tried to get Glenn Robinson to sign a beware of the dog sign for us. That was his nickname. Over the first few days of the tournament he wouldn't even sign for kids.

Well, we gave up and went to Duke's hotel. Somehow we found out what floor they were on and even Grant Hill's room number, after much debate, we said screw it and knocked.

He opened the door and he, Chris Collins, Cherokee Parks, Lang and a few others were playing golf on the Sega Genesis. They invited us in and let us play with them and all signed our beware of the dog sign. To this day only Johnny Cueto compares to those guys. What was so painful is I am UK fan so they had just broke my heart two years earlier. To find out they were so kind was just surreal. In this business I have met many of athletes but Grant and those guys were the nicest.
    ** Working on the following sets-2013 Spectra Football Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary Autograph set, 2015 Spectra Football Illustrious Legends Autograph set, 2014-15 Hall of Fame Heroes autograph set. **
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    In the early 1980's, I was at a show with Mickey Mantle. I had a real nice black and white 16x20 photo of him from th chest up if I remember correctly. He was signing and chatting a little while signing. When he was handed my photo, he stopped, held it up to look at it and said "wow that is a nice shot". He proceeded to sign his name, then hesitated and added No. 7. He was not doing any signature adds ons at the time but did mine on his own. I will try to post a photo of it if I get a chance.

Robert

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    milbrocomilbroco Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Another great signer was Wade Boggs. I used to travel to Baltimore often for games (from Philly) and get Orioles players and visiting team players. One time there was a gathering around a car in the parking lot, it was Wade Boggs. He must have for 15 minutes before letting everyone know he had to leave because of dinner reservations. He continued to sign for about 20 more minutes and again said "this is the last one, I have dinner reservations". He continued another 15 minutes or so and with every signature said the same thing. He finally left after about an hour of signing. About 45 minutes after he left, his car pulled back into the parking lot got out and started signing again. He said his dinner reservations were canceled because he was late so he said he decided to come back and sign more.

Robert

ebay seller name milbroco
    email bcmiller7@comcast.net
  • Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    Great topic!

My best was Lester Hayes. I got him at a show when I was a chubby 10 year-old. Lester gets up from the table and pats me on the shoulder and says I would make a good lineman (played one year in high school and hated it, BTW). Very friendly guy.

My worst echoes one of the experiences above - Willie Mays. Never looked up to acknowledge anyone. Very disappointing.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several years ago a friend and I went to the U.S. womens open golf tournament at Prairie Dunes in Hutch. Neither of us is an autograph hound,

and we were out walking around the course before most of the big name golfers had started their round.

I spot Annika Sorenstam coming towards us on her way to the practice range, so I quickly pull my program out of my pocket

and hand it to her asking for her auto, and luckily she's carrying a sharpie, because I didn't have anything to write with.

She signed it while she was walking, and when she handed it back there was like 20-25 people wanting her auto.

I always thought it was cool that I got her auto right before she started her round in a US Open, the most prestigious event on tour.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    yankeesmanyankeesman Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    My most positive experiences were with Dale Murphy, one of the nicest human beings on the planet, Bobby Cox (signed with a smile on his face and talked with me and my 10 year old son for five minutes and took a picture hugging my son which sits in my office today), and Wes Helms. Helms I met with a friend of mine at an Atlanta Hawks game (Michael Jordan's tour with the Wizards) and we got there early. He had just got traded that day I believe to Milwaukee and he talked with my friend and I for ten minutes or so like we were college buddies. Super nice guy.

The two grumpiest I've been around were, as mentioned before, Willie Mays and Gaylord Perry. Both acted as if it was an inconvenience though both were being paid to be available for autographs.
    Don Mattingly, Yogi Berra, Thurman Munson, Brian McCann and Topps Rookie Cup autograph collector
    www.questfortherookiecup.com
  • Options
    LittletweedLittletweed Posts: 623 ✭✭✭
    One of my favorite memories of getting an autograph was at my birthday party. So my birthday falls on February 15th (yeah, I'm turning 40 this year!) and for my 10th birthday party I went to the 1986 Chicago Auto Show. Only a few weeks earlier (today is the 30th anniversary!) the Chicago Bears beat down the NE Patriots in Super Bowl XX. Scheduled appearances at the auto show included Walter Payton and William "Refrigerator" Perry! Some other "kind of famous" people like Michael Jordan and Oprah Winfrey were there, but I was there to see some Bears! We were checking out cars when we heard Walter Payton was by the Buick's and we hurried over to find a huge crowd. He was in a rotating round display with some Buick, most likely the Riveria, signing a big stack of pictures and having them handed out. I pushed my way close enough for him to hear, so I called out, "It's my birthday!" and without hesitation he said "give one to the birthday boy." It's one of my favorite items from one of my favorite players. Because he was signing as many as he could he only got to "Walter" but it didn't matter to me, I got one.

Matt

• Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭
    That is his full autograph, you can see the w and p
    He was very nice, but would only sign one per person
    Best signers for me: tony Gwynn, Tim Raines, don sutton, Brett butler, Ernie banks,
    Nolan Ryan, duke snider, Walter Payton

Not friendly list: ken Griffey sr., bob Gibson, frank Robinson, willie mays, Keith Hernandez,
    Will Clark, George Brett, gene mauch, George Hendricks, John Denny, Cedric benson, Chester Taylor, tommy Harris,
  • Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭
    I've gotten many many autos in person and the biggest thrill was when I got my favorite pitcher ever, Pedro Martinez.

Years back the Brewers had "Autograph Fridays," where players would sign before games. I always brought 4-5 balls to get guys I wanted. They were playing the Mets and Pedro was pitching the next day. After getting balls signed from some of the Brewers I went over to watch Petey throwing long toss in the outfield.

He was throwing for a bit, and a lot of people were standing along the rail just watching him. After a few minutes I yelled "Pedro, do you have time to sign a few?" Initially I thought he just ignored my question as he threw a few more times, then turned around and replied "Who has a pen?!" Someone threw him one, and from there it was on. He was pointing to people and they were throwing balls to him about 10-15 yards away, he'd sign em and throw em back.

After signing for about 5 minutes, a guy next to me said to me "I hope he gets to you, no one said anything to him before you came up, you started all this! If he points near us, you toss your ball first" Soon enough he did point to me. And this is where it became intense. I was literally about to play catch with my favorite pitcher of all time. The throw there was right to him. That was the easy part. Now, I gotta catch the dang thing, without smudging it from 30-40 feet away, too?! But I did! And the ball turned out perfect. Sweet spotted, he put 45 on it, and I couldn't be happier. I spent the first three innings of the game texting my friends telling em about it. Haha.

That's among my favorite stories to tell to my buddies after we've had a few beverages.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: totallyradd
    I've gotten many many autos in person and the biggest thrill was when I got my favorite pitcher ever, Pedro Martinez.

Years back the Brewers had "Autograph Fridays," where players would sign before games. I always brought 4-5 balls to get guys I wanted. They were playing the Mets and Pedro was pitching the next day. After getting balls signed from some of the Brewers I went over to watch Petey throwing long toss in the outfield.

He was throwing for a bit, and a lot of people were standing along the rail just watching him. After a few minutes I yelled "Pedro, do you have time to sign a few?" Initially I thought he just ignored my question as he threw a few more times, then turned around and replied "Who has a pen?!" Someone threw him one, and from there it was on. He was pointing to people and they were throwing balls to him about 10-15 yards away, he'd sign em and throw em back.

After signing for about 5 minutes, a guy next to me said to me "I hope he gets to you, no one said anything to him before you came up, you started all this! If he points near us, you toss your ball first" Soon enough he did point to me. And this is where it became intense. I was literally about to play catch with my favorite pitcher of all time. The throw there was right to him. That was the easy part. Now, I gotta catch the dang thing, without smudging it from 30-40 feet away, too?! But I did! And the ball turned out perfect. Sweet spotted, he put 45 on it, and I couldn't be happier. I spent the first three innings of the game texting my friends telling em about it. Haha.

That's among my favorite stories to tell to my buddies after we've had a few beverages.

Cool story!

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭
    Didn't want to drone on for too long so I'll stop in 1984 unless anyone wants more:

I typed all this last night and posted it earlier but the paragraphs all ran in one sentence image Seems to happen if you go back in and edit it so I'll leave any spelling mistakes alone this time.

1979 My mother sent me off to Ted Williams baseball camp for the 3 week session. Ted always visited the campers that came for the 3 week sessions so I got to meet him then and again in 1980 when my mom sent me again. He was great and I still have one of the balls I got signed.

In 78 or 79 my twin cousins got jobs as clubhouse attendants for the Red Sox. One of them still works for them. Anytime I could make it in to a game, after the 3rd inning, they weren't really doing anything so I could knock on the clubhouse door, ask for one of them and then I was allowed in. Met quite a few of the players back then. Yaz and Rice stick out as the coolest. My first meeting of Yaz was him sitting in a director's chair in front of his locker and smoking a cigarette. I'll never forget that one. I would get to help out a bit, eat double bubble and help my cousins make McDonald's runs for the players.Those visits went on for a few years until life got in the way and I got shipped off to live with my brother when my mom passed away. He and his wife were in the Air Force and we got sent to Madrid Spain. While there, my sports interests waned mostly due to a lack of sports image Unfortunately, everything I had collected up to that point got sold for dirt except the Ted Williams ball and that was only because I had sent that to my dad in Arizona and got it back when he passed away in 2004

So music came along...

In 1984, while in Madrid, I saw a buddy of mine with a backstage pass for the Saxon concert we were at. He told me his secret and it was to show up at one of the 3 very nice hotels in Madrid and the bands would be in one of them or go down to the arena and since we spoke English it was pretty easy to get in. Next concert was Iron Maiden with Accept. We showed up in the morning outside the bull fighting arena they would be playing in and while wondering what to do next, the back gate opened, the tour manager walked out and asked if we were waiting for backstage pass. We couldn't believe it and of course said yes. He invited us in, we helped move some coolers, hung out all day, ate lunch and dinner with the bands and enjoyed the show. It was very surreal. They all treated us like we were friends.

imageimage

imageimage

Next major band to come through was The Scorpions. We just happened to walk into the hotel the morning they were checking in for a 2 night gig. We met them in the lobby and their tour manager asked us if we knew how to get to the arena they were playing at. So we hopped in the rental car with him and showed how to get to the arena and back. We were rewarded with backstage passes for both shows and as many that we wanted for our friends. We were in heaven. Came and went as we pleased for those 2 days, soundchecks, parties and a hell of a lot of fun. Even found the drummer, Herman Rarebell, a new walkman out at the air force base when he said his had died and asked if I knew where he could get one. Paid me about double what it cost and wouldn't settle for less. I recently found their tour manager on Facebook and thanked him those memories.

I had some really cool signed posters and stuff by Maiden and the Scorpions that got thrown away by a future landlord years later because he thought it was some of his son's junk in the garage of the house I was renting and watching over while it was for sale. I still have nightmares about that but at least the smaller items were in my bedroom and survived his cleanup.

Met and did similar stuff with some smaller name bands over there too - Uriah Heep, Helix, Tokyo Blade. All those guys were so ego-free in those days. We were only 16, 17 years old at the time.

imageimageimage

At our base in 1984, Stephen Stills, Steve Walsh & Phil Ehart (Kansas) and all 4 guys from Cheap Trick stayed for 2 weeks and rehearsed in the rec center for a USO tour they were doing. They were going to be playing at various bases and aircraft carriers and came here to learn each other's songs and practice. They were all very accessible the whole time. Played a lot of pool with Bun E Carlos from Cheap Trick and got to sit in on the interviews they were doing for the base TV station as the interviewer was a friend and neighbor of mine in base housing. Every day after school, we'd walk over and hang out with them.

• Options
    jsanzjsanz Posts: 250 ✭✭
    I met Pete Rose, Steve Garvey, and Jose Canseco at a trade show in Vegas. The trade show had nothing to do with sports. They were just hired as an attraction. I think the line was about 10 people long for free autographs and a quick picture. It didn't seem like anyone cared. I just happened to walk by the booth and notice them. I had no idea they were there.
    Love those 70's - early 80's packs and boxes...send me a message if you are selling because I am buying
  • Options
    alnavmanalnavman Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Did a mall shore in Ohio many, many years ago that had Lou Groza, Dante Lavelli and Otto Graham as signers. The show wasn't real busy and these guys were great, even have pictures here somewhere with my kids with them. My experience is that a lot of the old timers are much more gracious with signers then some of the newer players. Tough that all three are no longer around, they were all three class individuals, may they RIP.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First mlber I ever met was "the monster" dick raditz in bangor maine at a card show. I was 12, had no idea who he was, and was completely in awe. Got a ball signed. Biggest hands I ever saw. He could hold 6 baseballs in one hand.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    Dude shot pool with Bun E Carlos. I mean, how do you even translate that into a level of coolness? I bow at your feet zep33.
  • Options
    IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    craig44----I sure appreciated your story of THE MONSTER -- Dick Radatz. "Biggest hands I ever saw." Wish I'd have been the next in line to get his autograph. Glad it went well for you. He may not have starred for a lot of years, but when he was good, he was awful good.

Two of the pitchers Mickey Mantle had the toughest time with during the early-to-mid 60s were Dean Chance and Dick Radatz.

Cheers, bro. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Forgive me but my story is about an actor. Some of you may remember "Hawk" from the show "Spencer for Hire" with Robert Urick. Anyhow, the actor Avery Brooks, later beame a Star Trek captain on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I met him at a sci-fi convention a few years ago in Chicago. I had him sign a baseball (which his character loved in the show), he signed his name and his character's name, and gave me five minutes of his time with a line full of people behind me. Very friendly guy though he didn't understand the term "sweet spot."

• Options
    Originally posted by: 1980scollector
    A friend and I, at the age of 16, drove a few hours to watch Duke, Kansas, Marquette and Purdue play in Knoxville, TN in the NCAA tournament. We tried to get Glenn Robinson to sign a beware of the dog sign for us. That was his nickname. Over the first few days of the tournament he wouldn't even sign for kids.

Well, we gave up and went to Duke's hotel. Somehow we found out what floor they were on and even Grant Hill's room number, after much debate, we said screw it and knocked.

He opened the door and he, Chris Collins, Cherokee Parks, Lang and a few others were playing golf on the Sega Genesis. They invited us in and let us play with them and all signed our beware of the dog sign. To this day only Johnny Cueto compares to those guys. What was so painful is I am UK fan so they had just broke my heart two years earlier. To find out they were so kind was just surreal. In this business I have met many of athletes but Grant and those guys were the nicest.

Glenn Robinson signed for me midway through that season.
  • Options
    Charlie9Charlie9 Posts: 526 ✭✭
    Back in the mid-late 70's the Browns used to have their Training Camp at Kent State just about a 2 mile bike ride from where I lived as a 12 year old kid. This was pre-Kardiac Kids era so there were not exactly big crowds at these practices so we pretty much had free reign of the campus. We learned what dorms they were staying at and would get there the day before camp started and help them move in. For a young Browns fan I was in heaven. One of my favorite signers was Calvin Hill who always took time out to talk with me as I walked him to his car. One time I asked him to sign an older card of his and he said if he could keep the card he would sign as many as I wanted. I had a supply of about 15 of his cards on me and he signed every one of them. Other great guys that stood out were Ricky Feacher, Paul Warfield, Don *****roft, Doug Dieken, and Clarence Scott. I also remember one of the most terrifying people that actually turned out to be a great guy was Lyle Alzado. The only one I can remember being a jerk was Reggie Rucker. Great times! I had quite the stockpile of auto's in a scrapbook but lo and behold at 16 years old I found girls were more important than my silly collection and I sold the scrapbook for dirt cheap at a garage sale. I'd give anything to have that book back!
  • Options
    Non-sports - Was flying from LAX to BOS in 1990. Route was LAX-DTW-BOS. Flight from LAX-DTW had 6 or 7 Asian infants being taken to their adopting families. The passengers on the flight took turns helping the chaperones - holding them during take off and landing, feeding, changing into their outfits. Get off the plane and there were news crews everywhere filming the scene. It was the same plane for the home leg so my friend and I hung out watching everything at the gates as these families were introduced. After a few minutes I took a walk down the terminal. Walking back to the gate, I heard one of the golf carts beeping behind me so I step aside and take a look at who is on it.

Aerosmith. They were taking a break from touring and heading home. I was going to be on the same flight as Aerosmith. I got my picture with Steven Tyler (he's short) at the gate (the whole band thought the baby thing was way cool), and then during the flight the band was nice enough to let people come up to first class and get autographs (there was only like 30 people total on the plane - a 767). They could not have been nicer. Was a little weird seeing a rock god (Tyler) wearing reading glasses and reading Forbes. Joe Perry had a copy of Architecture Digest. We get to Boston and it's like 1:00 AM. Terminal is deserted. They still ushered the guys into a side room and some big refrigerator sized security guard escorted each one out to a limo to go to their respective homes. Who was going to mob them, the cleaning lady??

Sports - Couple years ago was in Tampa for business. Lightning were playing the Bruins. It was Tampa's 20th anniversary and they were saluting people from the past 20 years before each game. Bruins in town, salute the founder - Phil Esposito. There is a courtyard in front of the arena (nice place BTW) where a band plays before games. During a break, the emcee brought Phil out on stage. I camped out right next to the stage and scored his autograph on my ticket as he came off. Nice guy. Looked great for 71 - could probably still skate a line in the NHL.
    Collecting Topps Baseball: 1966-present base sets
    Topps/OPC Hockey 1966-Present base sets