Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading Opinion

What has been your experiences with tape residue and grading outcomes?

I'm looking at picking up a beautiful 1960 Topps card, apart from it having tape residue on two places on the front of the card (1/2in by 1/2in in both places). The corners are sharp, centering is 55/45 to 60/40, the colors are pretty vibrant, no major print flaws, very few black/white print specks, and back is clean.

I don't have a picture of it, but I would guess without the tape residue, it would grade out at a 7...maybe an 8. What would the tape marks do to it?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Tape residue is a silent killer. Your proposed acquisition will earn nothing close to a Near Mint grade. Enjoy it as a raw example unless you feel compelled to store it in a holder.
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info! Would it just knock it down a couple grades, or would it kill it completely and grade out as a 1 or 2?
  • Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭
    Only sent in one with tape residue - without tape it would have been a 6 or a 5 - came back a 1
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭
    I decided against it and just bought one that had no residue, but will grade out at a solid 7 instead. Thanks for the info!