Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

George III halfpenny brockage error

Do you suppose this is regal issue, or a contemporary counterfeit?

Interesting piece either way. But I don't suppose a contemporary counterfeit would be slabbable at PCGS?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmmm. . . good question.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭
    Something looks strange about the brockage side. I can't put my finger on it though.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Pokermandude

Something looks strange about the brockage side. I can't put my finger on it though.

I agree, but if my very limited experience with ancient brockage coins is an indicator, they often do look strange.

Sometimes it's because the normally struck (raised) side got worn in circulation (yes, some obviously did circulate) while the incuse brockage side got protected from wear and its corresponding loss of detail.

They're funny looking things, regardless, though whether this particular one is kosher funny or fishy funny, I'm not qualified to judge.

I'd be potentially interested in it for my Box of 20 (since I lack any errors there right now), but I'd be up against the same uncertainty I had over the off-center Hibernia halfpenny I had: even if it's a legit error, it may not be eligible for TPG grading if it's a contemporary counterfeit.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • JCMhoustonJCMhouston Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭
    Here's a genuine 1775 halfpenny, I think from a quick glance that one looks ok, but I'll look at it closer tonight.

• BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The brockage looks legit and I can understand your concern.

When these errors continued to circulate down to VG/VF levels the mirrored error side although recessed will receive hits in the larger regions.

Just like the tire on your car will fall into a pothole in the road... Not hover over it.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • jdmernjdmern Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Very neat piece... Certainly has a lot of character to it!

Here is one from an auction in 2010 to compare to:

Link

I think it looks good

(sorry I still can't seem to get it to go in paragraphs)

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics